ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d help needed

Gallery
    View images

Unhappy 3d help needed

Can someone please help, how do i use layers so my paintings look more 3d, or should i be using thicker paint to get 3d effect. I do'nt know why my paintings always look so flat?
    sally

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sally,

Could you provide a link to some images that you would consider "3D", so we might better understand your question? I'm not sure if you're looking to do actual "3D" as in 3D rendering, add form using shadows and highlights, or want to attempt to use more impasto like effects (adding thicker paint in areas, to build upon the paints texture).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    I think what's she's refering to is the paint having a "raised" look above the canvas. Like a build up of paint.

Just a thought

mb
    Mbrienza

Gallery
    View images
    I think possibly what you need to do is make sure you paint brush has a high setting on loading and low setting on thinners, this will give you nice texture (3D paint look) if this is what you referring to
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images

sally's reply

Sorry i did not explain myself very well about my paintings look flat, on page 2 of the gallery a painting titled going green by mairzie Dotes appears to stand out from the canvas. How is that effect achieved?
    sally

Gallery
    View images
    Could you provide a link to the one your talking about so i can be sure. Even though i haven't seen the painting, i will suggest if you want a certain area of a painting to standout, become the focal point, you need to give it rich detail and reduce the detail and colour saturation of the other parts of the painting, as i haven't seen the painting this is the best i can do

Hope it helps
    Col
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

irishrose Guest

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by sally packham View Post
    Sorry i did not explain myself very well about my paintings look flat, on page 2 of the gallery a painting titled going green by mairzie Dotes appears to stand out from the canvas. How is that effect achieved?
    Ah, okay... So the question is on impasto.

Impasto is basically the use of thickly laid down paint to build a sort of relief on the canvas. For example, if one were trying to paint the fold of a dress, one would apply a thick stroke of paint along the fold to enhance it's appearance of being a true form. This thickness in the paint would help the illusion of the fold being closer to the viewer by catching the actual light hitting the painting. Because ArtRage uses an actual light source (turned on or off using F5) and gives us tools like the "Paint Tube", we can simulate this effect to some degree.

I've attached three images below this paragraph as a quick example of this. The first image was done using just the oil brush (I purposely left out a lot of the darker shadows to help push the example). The seconds image shows a layer I made under the last image layer. It consists of only white blobs of paint I put down with the paint tube and then manipulated with the pallet knife and eraser to form a few of the folds of cloth. The Third image shows the two layers together. The areas with the thick paint underneath seem to take more shape and become a better focal point.

Name:  cloth_1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  cloth_2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  cloth_3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  36.6 KB

And below is an image I made that uses the same idea. Play around with the glitter, paint tube and soft palette knife tools, in order to push the paint around.

Last edited by Someonesane; 09-09-2009 at 04:14 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Man your a legend Somesane, you deserve a medal for the time you've taken explain with such great examples, i'd like to see this example duplicated as a mini tutorial so it doesn't get lost, Well done, i can see you had fun while doing it too, a true gentleman
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images

Thank You

I would like to say thank you so much to everyone who replied to my question. And to Someonesane for helping me a especially big thank you for the tutorials. I think you are a great artist.
    sally