Thread: Christmas Wreath Tut....

Gallery
    View images

Christmas Wreath Tut....

Hi everyone,

Well I wanted to do a tutorial for you all showing different simple steps to do a Christmas wreath This wreath was totally done in art rage except for the white sparkles on the red lights.

In Frame A, I drew a blue line basic sketch and then used my paint tool and picked a dark green color to begin the layout of the pine needles this helps to keep the direction of the needles going where you want them.

Frame B, new layer, I added some large dark black and raw umber and dark green flecks for my depth.

Frame C, new layer, I added needles. now to make this look really good I layed in some dark green needles first then graduated up to a mid range green then to a lighter green this gives more depth to the needles. I then went back to the first layer and erased all the blue lines out of the wreath area and then picked a dark but pale green and lowered the presure and airbrushed a foggy grey behind everything finishing off the depth and giving the wreath the feel of fullness.

Frame D, new layer, This is where I added a light blue green needles to add highlights where I wanted them on the wreath. I also added golden tan and redish brown short strocks near the stems of the branhes and this helps with the total illusion of the pine tree wreath. I then airprushed some red lights all over the wreath on this layer as well. I then stepped back to layer C and airbrushe lightly some yellow and white to give the effect of illuminated lights.

Frame E, new layer I layed in the color for the ribbon. hummmmmmm? maybe it should have been red? ...anyway the ribbon is basically self explanitory in of it'self. Painted Back Ground then a couple more layers with highlights and air brushed field. I then sent this pic over to my other program and added white hot sparkel highlights to the lights and changed up the contrast a bit to color burn in the effects I liked. You will see this in the next thread. You can use stencils for the same effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Gallery
    View images

Christmas wreath Tut 2

Frame F this is where I added the White hot sparkles to the lights and adjust the contrast to the painting.

Frame G, new layer. is where I re imported the painting and set up my glitter gun and added colored glitter to the whole wreath to add a little more festive feel to it. you can do this or not it was just me playing around but heck I think it looks ok.

Frame H, Then I added a air brushed Background to make the wreath pop so you can see it better. As artist I think if I had a litle more time to do this I may have painted a wooden door behind it. This would make an exceptional Christmas card for this year, now wouldn't it? This painting took all of 45 minutes to complete.

This tutorial took the better part of an hour hahahahaha I don't type very fast sorry!

coolhuh?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by cartuneman; 09-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    That's an Awesome Christmas Wreath Cart, and a great tutorial to boot
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Cartuneman, Thank You!!! not too early to start thinking of such things, Beautiful gift to us too,,, would like to know how you put in the glint and spark on the lights?? what a great Christmas Card!!!

Gallery
    View images
    Beautiful wreath you made John. I love it. Enjoyed very much seeing the process also. Thanks for sharing it. It just sparkles. I love Christmas decorations. It's a great time of year. You have made me look forward to the traditional Halloween thread and Christmas thread. Always delightful stuff.

Gallery
    View images
    Lovely watching the stages, till the grand finish. Great work Cartuneman.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey, this is fine tutorial. See if you can get them to move it to the Tips & Tricks" section where it will get more exposure. Lot's here that is helpful. Great result.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4