Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ArtRage 3 development - keeping mum?

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage 3 development - keeping mum?

Hi people.

I can't help wondering: ArtRage 3 has been under development for 3 years, I believe, and still we know nothing about it except it being under development!

Hey, Rage Team, can you tell us why are you keeping it such a secret?

I suppose you maybe wouldn't want to make false promises or set a definitive deadline, but aren't any features stable enough - after three friggin' years of development - to at least put up a teaser? Or hint on what improvements you're busy with? Or discuss them with us? We're the ones who will use it, after all, and I am probably not mistaken to say that many of us here would buy AR3 the instant it is published without any reservations.

You have a very dedicated community here who love this program; why do you treat us like this?

P.S. I've recently acquired a used Compaq tablet PC equipped with a Wacom digitizer; if you want to test run AR3 beta on such hardware, you're welcome to let me know.

Gallery
    View images
    They (the AR team) have mentioned before that they are reluctant to release any information concerning the new version, because they are not sure what will, or will not, make it into the end package. Meaning, they wouldn't want to tell the community that they were working on a particular feature, having the community get excited about it, then have to remove it from the package because of unforeseen issues that it may cause in the final product.

It may seem cruel, but sometimes not knowing what one is missing, is better then knowing what's coming (IMO).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Has it really been three years? You sure? Hmmmmmm.....
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    It's been two years since ArtRage 2.5 was released - we started development of ArtRage 3 immediately after the release of 2.5
    ArtRage 3 is currently in Beta testing, and that is going well.

We're a small development team, and it takes quite a while to get a product to completion. If we give out information about what is upcoming it can give our competitors time to steal our thunder. It can also harm our existing sales if people get the impression there will be an new version soon - we still gotta eat. And it can also create an unreasonable expectation of features if we discover we need to remove a feature before release (for whatever reason).

I'd love to shout about the new stuff in ArtRage 3 - I think it's a fantastic product.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy! I say take whatever time is needed for a product that Im sure will blow our minds just like the other versions! There is plenty of painting and exploring to be done with the current version. To anyone that may wait for AR3 to be released before they purchase AR2.5 is missing out on a whole world of mind blowing artistic capabilities and tools!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    I agree with Sketch, I will never fully master artrage 2.5... or utilize all it's capabilites...it is an amazing software capable of utterly fantastic things! I hope to keep it even after buying the artrage 3.0 because I simply love it. It is a powerful program at a great value and capable of amazing things.
    Take as long as you want or need on 3.0. to make it fantastic. I am not in a hurry at all. Please take your time.
    Photoshop comes out and makes you buy a new version every year or two and it still works about like my Photoshop 4.0 did 12 years ago. Since then I have bought 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and CS 2. Still seems to run like Photoshop to me. Not a lot has changed really. Knowing the excellence in programming at ambient, 3.0 will be worth the wait. In the meantime... let's see some work in 2.5. It's a great program!

Gallery
    View images
    Out of all the people who would like to say what's in AR3 it would be Matt & Dave, lets not hound them, lets not do anything to interfere with the development progress, as frustrating as it is waiting at times, lets support them by awaiting the arrival of AR3 patiently
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    OK, I see. Still wishing that the team had adopted the "release early, release often" strategy.

By the way, does anyone feel that the "don't want to raise the expectations" argument doesn't quite work? Development time this long becomes a hint too: it raises an "after two years in development, it better impress the hell out of me" sort of expectation.

Gallery
    View images
    One has to take into consideration the amount of people who are programming this product. The AR team consists of a handful of people, who are programming the product, marketing the product and taking care of this website (among many other things I'm sure). They simply wouldn't have the resources needed to throw out new versions of the program every few months, like some of the other companies we are familiar with.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    One has to take into consideration the amount of people who are programming this product. The AR team consists of a handful of people, who are programming the product, marketing the product and taking care of this website (among many other things I'm sure). They simply wouldn't have the resources needed to throw out new versions of the program every few months, like some of the other companies we are familiar with.
    ... Not to mention that Tycho is bound to get cranky if not fed and patted on a regular basis.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM