Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's a story

Gallery
    View images

Here's a story

When I was a kid I was brought up for the first five years by my Mother and my Gran...........so I was what we call in England a bit of a sissy..........when my Dad returned from the War he was horrified to see me picked on and regularly bullied at school.

So my Dad started to teach me Unarmed Combat techniques that as a former Royal Marine Commando he knew well.Each week he would show me how to defend myself against different forms of attack.

This week on Tuesday ................some 60 years later..............I was attacked by a man with a knife as I was walking home after buying some groceries and some wine to have with a fine fish we'd bought that afternoon.

The guy was with a woman and another man on the opposite side of the road and he was talking with them and waving his arms about but that's not uncommon here..........the French do talk with lots of gestures.When they were directly opposite me he suddenly shouted at the top of his voice and I naturally looked across ............. he caught my eye and shouted something at me and then ran full tilt towards me pulling a knife when about two metres away and swung at head height.........I managed to parry with my left hand (got just a small nick on the finger) and then hit him with the bag full of shopping (heavy).Unfortunately for him the wine bottle hit him on his forearm when he blocked the blow.....it broke and badly lacerated his forearm.I fell because I was off balance but he went back to the other side of the road.There were 5 witnesses and he went to hospital and not me.

But for my Father's teaching I would now be badly wounded at best or dead at worst.

Thank you Dad!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Gallery
    View images
    Well done Peter!!!!!!!!!

What a terrible experience.

I hope that's the end of the affair.

Back here you would be prosecuted for not first carrying out a Risk Assessment Procedure. Staining public property with an alcoholic substance, not paying his medical costs, and carrying groceries in a provocative manner.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    that is both a great story and a sad one.

I had all the imagery in my mind as you described it and it turned my stomach.

This is what is wrong with the world. this is what makes me sad. At least this time it had a happy-ish ending. I hope you weren't to shaken up and managed to get a replacement bottle of wine. (although I'm sure in france its a criminal offence to spill wine )

thanks for sharing Peter
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Gallery
    View images
    Remarkable story Peter. Most important, albeit I'm sure a bit shook up, you came out of it unharmed; and on the bright side had an occasion to honor your father. Did you buy more wine????

Thanks for sharing, and I'm most happy you are safe.

Be well,
    Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Pinckney!!!!!

I had no idea that Royal Commandos learned hand-to-Chianti combat maneuvers. Sounds more like 007 training to me.

I'm very gratified to hear of your victory my friend. In your neighborhood you best carry a couple bottles at all times. I heard that some red wine every day is good for the heart. I thought it had something to do with the chemistry, not with the weaponry.

Cheers, chief! Levity aside, I'm very relieved for you and on behalf of your dad, very proud of you as well. You learned your lessons well.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Peter this is a story of a winner. Good that everything finished well. Take care.

Gallery
    View images
    Peter, glad you pulled through this and that you remembered some combat moves. I totally do not understand what these folks wanted? It seems they only wanted to hurt you with the knife. From what you described, there was no robbery attempt only an attack on your person. Why? That is all the more scary that there was no robbery attempt. So why did they want to hurt you and why did they single you out? I suppose in a city of a million or more people there would be crime, but this seems so bizarre as no provocation or reason behind the attack. You must have been quite shaken up after that?
    So glad you are alright. Hopefully, they will find out who the thug's
    accomplices are also. This is very alarming.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Peter, glad you pulled through this and that you remembered some combat moves. I totally do not understand what these folks wanted? It seems they only wanted to hurt you with the knife. From what you described, there was no robbery attempt only an attack on your person. Why? That is all the more scary that there was no robbery attempt. So why did they want to hurt you and why did they single you out? I suppose in a city of a million or more people there would be crime, but this seems so bizarre as no provocation or reason behind the attack. You must have been quite shaken up after that?
    So glad you are alright. Hopefully, they will find out who the thug's
    accomplices are also. This is very alarming.
    Peter please respond as well. I am merely tossing in my 2 cents -- all speculation on my part based on what I've seen.

It was about assault sounds like. Not about robbery.

I've seen people who are spoiling for a fight. They are howling at the moon whacked out. There's no sense to it. He wanted to fight anyone as a way to pound his chest, and strike terror or whatever, and someone looking at him was enough to catch his attention. Meltdown is something that happens. Being stoned or drunk will give people the sense of invulnerability. Usually it's associated with substance abuse.

They're dangerous enough. An they mean ill at those times. Yes. It's disturbing.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Peter, so sorry to hear this story but so glad that you are ok. Take care of yourself
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks everybody for your concern...............just by way of clarification.............. my attacker was an ex-boyfriend of the woman who was with her new partner and he was hassling both of them ........... they were trying to calm him down when he exploded..........when he spotted me I think he saw an easy target (I'm starting to look 68) and as he is around 40 he probably sized me up as easy meat.............he got a shock, as I said, thanks to my Father........what amazed me most was that after all those years had passed I still remembered it all..........plus I think I was lucky in that he had to run across the road to get to me which gave me enough time to know that this was serious stuff coming at me.

There was a funny side to it at the Police Station.............when giving my statement to the detective he got to the part where I defended myself and actually wrote that I'd given my assailant a "coup de sac"...............I just collapsed laughing......... in French a kick is a coup de pied.....a headbutt is a coup de boule ......... a punch is a coup de poing........... but my defence was a coup de shopping bag............Pythonesque non?

I even had the cop laughing when he asked if I needed to see a psychologist and I said "Yes..because I'd been forced to have RED WINE with my fish"

So it all ended on a lighter note ...........the Police said he would go before the Judge in about three weeks time and would certainly get a prison term.

But I wouldn't want to do it again any time soon! Hoka Hey!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278