Thread: Khalid water tutorial - 20min first attempt

Gallery
    View images

Khalid water tutorial - 20min first attempt

Hi Guys,
    I had a go at Khalid's great water tutorial and this is how I did.

I found that I didnt put enough paint on(hence the oodles of white) and didnt know where to start with the details but I thought it was ok as a first bash in 20 mins.
    What was really difficult was the temptation I have to blend everything in the universe. Its probably just because AR blending is so much fun

Its no where near a finished piece of work and may never and as you know I like to point out all things art are new to me but thought Id see what peeps thought.

PS: I think I should be brave and try to use a reference image instead of pulling things from my head. I have a great longterm memory but 2 mins ago is usually lost...so maybe a reference pic would help me to concentrate and poss improve my shortterm memory too
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Gallery
    View images
    Very nice Stephen

Gallery
    View images
    Take heart Stephen. Khalid's earliest works don't stand up well to what he does now. This is a great excercize. Keep at it and keep exploring the tools. ArtRage is more complex than it seems. And remember ... right brain, right brain.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow I posted this like what seemed like ages ago so thanks for bumping it up guys.

Even though it was only like a week ago or so I feel like I've moved on so much even since then.
    I have practised the water several times since with various colours etc and feel like I am happy to paint "still" water.
    I've also taken a stab at Peters water tutoral with the gentle wave like motion and thats ok to.

So now I can paint, skys,clouds,water,reflections and apples Its the whole "scene" thing that I know I am weakest on.
    In order to improve you must accept your current skill level and understand that you dont know everything. Take that as a snapshot of you at that point in time. I'm good with that. I know I can improve.

For me and my right brain now, I'm just splitting my painting time between semi-structured tasks and random excursions.

More brushing and less blending on larger pieces for me...thats what i need.

thanks
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

Gallery
    View images
    Hi guys this is my second attempt

You might have spotted it already but the full size one can be found here
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=22217

I'm happy with it but I dont think its finished yet. Also I my heart just craves to paint something with more paint on it and less blending.. still +ve thoughts, stephen. +ve thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

Gallery
    View images
    You've done a great job, Khalid the water painting teacher extraordinaire
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    You've done a great job, Khalid the water painting teacher extraordinaire
    Thanks fella

practice, practice, practice apparently.. however I'm inclinded to think that its largely due to a great tutorial.

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition