ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you develop a 'style'?

How do you develop a 'style'?

Hi guys!
    Im having trouble with the concept of a personal style. Im told everyone has their own style but Im finding it hard to see what mine is. Every drawing I do seems to be different. Some are 3d, some 2d, some realistic some astract.. depends what I feel like, although I havnt really mastered any of them :S
    Any comments/suggestions etc?
    Thanks!!

Re: How do you develop a 'style'?

Quote Originally Posted by shan_85_newbie
    Hi guys!
    Im having trouble with the concept of a personal style. Im told everyone has their own style but Im finding it hard to see what mine is. Every drawing I do seems to be different. Some are 3d, some 2d, some realistic some astract.. depends what I feel like, although I havnt really mastered any of them :S
    Thanks!!
    How do you develop a personal style?

Practise, practice, practise.

Once you get some experience you'll notice that you seem to prefer certain tools, techniques, styles, etc. Go with what works for you, that way your style develops naturally.

Painting stays fun if you don't develop a style!

Just paint and paint and paint. If, and when, perspective and portraits become dead easy, look around for something new. I've been painting and drawing for 50 years and it's what I plan to do eventually.

Develop a palette and a technique by all means.
    This usually means selecting, from the vast number of things that Artrage can do, the colours and methods that please you.

If someone from this vast pool of talent makes you think. "Wow!", try something similar.

Once again, just paint everything.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Thats really good advice guys thankyou!
    sounds like i have a lot of time and work but also fun ahead.

i think part of it is finding somethings just wont work for you at all....they are like swimming in treacle .... others arent so hard or are more fun and seem to flow

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Style is not a commodity. It is not something you can copy. It is the sum of you and as you develop/change so will your style. Once it is possible to disreguard your shortcomings and just enjoy the activity of art making then you will have a "style".
    You'll know when you get there!

I would suggest; just keep on painting and experimenting. After several years of working at it you might look back upon your work in the progress of years and see a pattern of style developing.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Re: How do you develop a 'style'?

Quote Originally Posted by shan_85_newbie
    Hi guys!
    Thanks!!
    Two "rules" to create your own style :

1 - draw
    2- see rule #1

Do a lot of illustrations, don't think about the style. Just try to do your best and have fun. One day, you'll find more easy and more efficient to draw in a specific way and that will be your style. I think an artist is ALWAYS buidling his own style. I draw with some different styles and it took me 36 years to build them (although I start using some only a few months ago, I wouldn't have use them if my personnal history was different)
    Don't forget, when you finish an illustration, that the most important drawing is the one you havn't already done, the one that will come after and when you'll have done it, the most important will be the next one. If not, you'll do industrial products and not artistic material
    My portfolio & other things :
    http://www.cedrictrojani.fr

wow thanks for the big response guys. I have found your responses very reassuring. i was stupidly worried i had somehow missed out on one ops:

Hiya Shan...

Definitely all of the above.

I'd like to add to the responses...

For me... 'my' style came pretty much from loving the tools I was using.

The first tool I reallllly got into was a ruling pen, using India Ink on paper. (A ruling pen behaves very much like a brush when you want it to, and is extremely precise when you need that. It's a draughting tool. The kind of line I get out of it looks a bit like Ralph Steadman's stuff.)

For years, I did only portraiture in a Daler-Rowney acid-free sketchbook. I have about twenty of those books.

My rules are:

o Do not tear anything out.
    o Do not throw anything away.
    o Do not get precious about anything.
    o 20 percent of what I draw might resemble something cool. 80 percent will be rubbish.
    o Look at other people's art. Even art you don't like.
    o Imitate other people's art. Especially art you don't like.

I discovered a love for colour when I got my palmtop computer. I downloaded a little piece of Japanese shareware called Mobile Atelier, and literally exploded my world. I stopped carrying the sketchbook everywhere, and started wearing cargo trousers with multiple pockets to accommodate all my gadgets. I made hundreds of drawings on the palmtop. And my style definitely 'evolved' to embrace colour. I find that line is STILL the love of my life. With colour enhancing that.

Nowadays, I'm a firm fan of the tablet pc. As far as I'm concerned, I'll ALWAYS purchase tablets from now on. The first package I tried was Corel Painter Classic which came free with the Wacom tablet I bought some years ago. Painter was very disappointing, but it WAS the first release of the package, and it WAS rather cruddy.

Then I tried Alias Sketchbook Pro 2.0. Awesome. Fell in love with it. Wow wow wow. A leap forward in the evolution of my style. Then, with added exposure to Sketchbook Pro, and a quick attempt at Corel Painter 9.5, I realised that Sketchbook was missing the thing I needed most... painterliness.

I read about ArtRage on the web somehow, and downloaded the freebie version. And loved it immediately. I can't recall how long it took me to purchase the full version, but I think it was a matter of a day or two. And WHAM! My personal style took another leap forward. Wow.

---

I think the gist of what I'm yakking on about is that -- for me -- the tools themselves bring me joy. And because of that, stuff in my 'personal style' gets liberated.

Go forth and flourish.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E