ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers!!!!!

Gallery
    View images

Computers!!!!!

Well just had a charming person on from PC World saying it will be 2-3 weeks before my computer will be ready. Hard drive gone and they need to get new on from Packard Bell ( I think its abroad) and thats how long it takes. They cannot save anything, so lost a few things but 75% backed up. I am just soooooooooo annoyed that even though I pay an agreement for repairs with them this is how long it takes, Think I will be looking elsewhere
    Anyway will try and get painting on old computer but it is OLD lol.
    Take care and hope to be posting soon.
    Katie
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Katie

Bad news... and I think PC world are telling you lies... a hard drive is a hard drive and whatever Packard Bell put in your computer is no different to the hundreds they already have on the shelf, except possibly in capacity and that makes no difference.

Make sure you get the old one back if there is anything on there you really don't want to lose or if you have personal or financial information on it. Unless it is totally dead you can still recover data (too difficult for a PC world techy) but you might know a man who can.

I still sort of own half an IT services company and I know it doesn't take that long.

I would still hassle PC World and tell them weeks is outrageous when the right part is probably 20 feet or an overnight delivery away.

Gallery
    View images
    Katie,
    I have to agree, a hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. If its that, its as simple as opening a box and shoving a new one in and pressing a few buttons.

#1 never buy cover from the people you buy your kit from
    #2 never get the people with the biggest advertising budget

I'm banned from our local PCWorld.. after walking past when they tried to sell an obsolete laptop to a grandmother for 600 and you can get the same one for 250 online. I pointed it out they werent happy lol
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Neil, thanks for replying. I am absolutely furious with them as this is the second time this has happened. Does say much for the hard drive they put in before and only last year. I am seriously thinking of having a computer built now as I just dont want to be bothered with PC World. Thanks for the tip about getting old hard drive back, there isnt any banking or personal stuff on there, I mainly use computer for photos and painting but just to be hmmmm awkward I will ask for it back lol.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    I agree with Mr Foster never buy cover from these stores, and if it's out of warranty find a good independent repair shop.... Also if you get one built for you, make sure you get the genuine disks and licenses they used to load it... Better still buy a Mac!

Oh boy! when did I last do a back up?
    Last edited by fraser_paice; 09-03-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow Katie, sorry to hear about that, what a drag.
    Neil and Stephen are right, get that old hard drive back and take it to a reputable technician near you. Often they can recover most of your data.
    Hope this one is behind you soon.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 09-03-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    I'd have to agree with most of the others here, about the hard drive. If that's the only true issue, then they should be able to get any type of hard drive you'd like and install it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    i feel your pain...i thought a portable hard drive was the answer for awhile, until it died 2 years later. any drive with moving parts will die sometime.

i found recover my files software and got back 95% of what i lost

just my 2 cents on computers...flash drivers and memory cards are great, besides "the old burn everything to a disk".

steve

Gallery
    View images
    Next time, just ask the next door kid and he will pop it in for you for 20 bucks. Switching out an HD is just like changing windshield wipers. But true, if you happen to not know how to change them out, they can tell you that you need the 30 dollar windshield wipers, and they need to ship it from the amazon forest so it will take a month.
    --LES

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentool View Post
    Next time, just ask the next door kid and he will pop it in for you for 20 bucks. Switching out an HD is just like changing windshield wipers. But true, if you happen to not know how to change them out, they can tell you that you need the 30 dollar windshield wipers, and they need to ship it from the amazon forest so it will take a month.
    Katie, changing out hard drives IS pretty easy. The pain is in reinstalling the operating system and all your software, downloading all those software updates, getting your virus protection back on and set up, getting the latest hardware drivers, and resetting all you little personal settings in both the operating system and our favorite software. For most of us that's a solid two days or better worth of work.

One would hope that at least PC World will install the operating system and ensure that at least all the internal hardware and drivers are working properly, and update any errant drivers. That should be included in your service plan. If they're only popping in a new drive they belong in the "they should be shot" category. If they aren't going to install the operating system and make sure it's working satisfactorily with your internal hardware you really might as well have the kid on the corner put in a new and larger hard drive.

Again, good luck. Hearts around the world are with you.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4