Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A try at artrage

Gallery
    View images

A try at artrage

I am more or less a artweaver user but I figured I'd give artrage a try. I used the free version todo the lineart and colored in photoshop. Something I noticed that the stroke are very slow in artrage 2. 20.00 USD doesn't seem bad at all but sluggish responce to my tablet doesn't give my much incentive to purchase.

Wacom Graphire
    Celeron 3.4 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 256 MB
    OpenGL 2.0 directX 9
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

hi.

hi sutabi...i like her expression, that adds quite a character to her.
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Gallery
    View images
    Nice drawing sutabi.

The sluggishness is growing pains.

The developers said they're managing that known issue in the coming update.

Meanwhile, I think you'd get a better feel for the program working at a lower resolution if that suits you.

I really like the look that can be had from the various marks one can get that look like thick paint or dry art materials.

I've not used artweaver, so I can't compare.

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome to the forums! Nice to see your work.

Regarding speed, ArtRage performs well on my home machine which is of similar specifications to the ones you posted ( slower processor, more RAM ) If you're doing a very large image in terms of dimensions, things can certainly slow down as in order to simulate real media we need to store a lot of information in memory ( wetness, paint thickness and so on ).

Also, sometimes people can interpret the way that strokes end when you raise the stylus as slowness. The stylus will not place down the last part of the media until the stroke is ended by lifting the stylus, so it looks as if it's "catching up" but in reality, this is not the case. During a stroke we have to stay a little behind the cursor because we don't know which direction you're going in next before you move and we want to allow people's strokes to be as smooth as possible.

Memory management is something that we're optimising at the moment. However this will only tend to affect the performance when painting on large multiple layer documents in the full version.

Feel free to email me at support@ambientdesign.com if you can use some support on this, always happy to see what I can do to help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get a good speedup in my strokes, so its no where as sluggish as before. I'll defintly be buying this, the workflow is just amazing.

Gallery
    View images
    Alright I purchased this software and very please I wish there was a bit more you could do with layers i.e multiply, etc but the drawing tools are exceptional and the workflow is the best I've come across. Here is another little sketch this time all of it was done in artrage .

I've been posting videos on youTube on my drawings, I've switch from paper to computer but artweaver and photoshop's toolset just gave such a fake feeling. So I'll be sticking to this for now on.

Edit:
    ------------------------
    youTube Video
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by sutabi
    Alright I purchased this software and very please I wish there was a bit more you could do with layers i.e multiply, etc but the drawing tools are exceptional and the workflow is the best I've come across.
    ArtRage is always expanding and adding new features. I hear they're approaching another point release sometime soon, maybe Santa Rage has heard your pleas...
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    I purchased Artrage and glad I did... however I much prefer Artweaver over Artrage.... I feel I can do more with Artweaver although I do prefer Artrage's gui over Artweaver, Painter Essentials or Paint Shop Pro...

Gallery
    View images
    Can I recommend you "Fun with the Pencil", "Successful Drawing" and "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" by Andrew Loomis? You can get them at the site fineart.sk - check them out.

Gallery
    View images
    Sutabi - I noticed your comments on slowness with AR. I discovered it had to do with my computer - I boosted my RAM, and upgraded my Video Card - that solved the problem.