ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stencil Help!

Stencil Help!

Agh,
    So I'm trying to make a stencil of words that I found online that I saved as a picture on my computer. It let me make the stencil, but when I try and airbrush it, the paint goes through the stencil....
    any way to change this so its more....solid?
    Thanks!

The stencil has to be pure white in the areas you want the paint to be stopped, otherwise the color will bleed through. If you're sure the stencil was made correctly, check to see if you have it set "Guide Mode" (right click on the stencil to pull up the menu options). If it is, change it to "Ruler" or "Stencil" mode.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I clicked all three of the options and it still bled through....

Then it's because your stencil has gray colors for a background.

Name:  abc1.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  17.6 KB Name:  abc2.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  abc3.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  55.6 KB

Ok that makes sense...
    forgive my ignorance, but how did you do all that?

Quote Originally Posted by nickswish View Post
    forgive my ignorance, but how did you do all that?
    I'm not sure I know what you're asking, specifically... In short, I just took a screen shot of my computer screen and then superimposed the text and arrows over it on different layers.

lol sorry, that was a little bland...
    I meant how did you make it bleed through, then not bleed through? Is there a way for me to change how much it bleeds?
    and also, how did you add the text in there?

Well, it's like I said. Unless the stencil is completely black (areas where the color will go through 100%) and white (areas where the color will not go through at all), you will end up with color bleeding. There's really no way to adjust these effects in ArtRage itself (meaning, there's no slide bar that will change it's contrast for you, so the stencil has to be made correctly from the start). I suppose you could try to adjust the contrast of the image you downloaded using another program like Gimp or Photoshop, or even import the image into ArtRage using the "Import Image" option and then adding a layer of black (to darken) or white (to brighten) over the image layer, while adjusting the new layers opacity option to change it's brightness. But I highly doubt this will give you the results you're really looking for. If there's enough a difference in the grays, you may be able to fill the gray are you wish to mask off with white by using a color fill tool in a program like gimp, also. But again... It's unlikely the result will be all that great.

As for adding the text in to my examples, I used Photoshop for that. I could've used ArtRage and stencils to do it as well, it just would've taken a little longer.

Below is an example stencil I made that you can download and try out. I made to show you what I mean about the gray areas. When you paint over it, take note of where the colors bleed through and where they don't.

Name:  123456.png
Views: 406
Size:  4.1 KB

Name:  123456A.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  30.9 KB

and you said that you made that stencil?

can you not get a picture off the internet and make it a stencil without it bleeding? I've gotten multiple pictures and they all bleed