ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need critic and advice

Need critic and advice

Hi all !
    My first painting ever..i posted it in gallery section also.

I am more a vector-man myself, so this is new to me.
    First oil painting ever, done by reference picture.

If you got any advice or tip...feel free to write !

No ambition makes you normal.

Quote Originally Posted by emiN_Rb View Post
    Hi all !
    My first painting ever..i posted it in gallery section also.

I am more a vector-man myself, so this is new to me.
    First oil painting ever, done by reference picture.

If you got any advice or tip...feel free to write !

I hope, is this not a final version? Good start, go ahead!

emiN_Rb, first welcome to the forum. Second, this seems rather accomplished for someone who has never painted. It would be hard to critique the painting itself without knowing what you were shooting for. As a first effort it shows an inclination to good composition and design, color sense, volume definitions and a bunch of other arty words. Quite nice.

I would make these general suggestions if you want to start to paint.
    1/first, simply practice as much and as often a time allows and makes you happy.
    2/take some drawing and painting classes, read some art-instruction books and try the stuff in them, read a little on color theory, generally get acquainted with a little self-study
    3/visit the tips and trick section of this forum where there are tutorials for doing things in Artrage of every imaginable sort. There is a goldmine of instruction that can cut your learning curve dramatically
    4/LOOK at other paintings. Go to the gallery sections of this forum and absorb what people do. Simply being with other paintings provides insight and inspiration that you can take back to your work.
    4/nothing beats number 1. Practice, practice, practice.
    5/be patient with yourself, be willing to make mistakes and learn from them, and have fun.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 08-28-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Yep has loads of character and charm, well done, on your 1st painting, have you painted with real media or is this the 1st time you have painted ever.

Welcome to the family and enjoy your stay
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Tnx to all ! Silent, Byron and Boyd !

*silent
    Yes, first time ever. I am working in illustrator nad flash, so only VECTOR design in known to me.
    But, as far as paintings go, i never did anything (real life or media)

*byron
    Tnx for comments dude ! I will try to find as much as possible, all kinds of stuff...I already saw some really good styles here and there are sooo much talented people....it would be a privilege to learn from you all. Tnx again !

*Boyd
    Yep, is final :/ I could work on it a bit more.....i do have some ideas for adjustments but my skill is still not on that level for that kind of adjustments

I do like to sketch a loot...and i never liked painting my drawings...i kinda
    ruin them XD
    Funny thing is, i never paid attention to paintings and some artists...but when i tried some stuff using AR....i saw that there was something more to painting !...much more !

I am posting some more stuff...this time..sketches !

I will paint some of them, just didn't have time yet

Everybody, i would like you to meet Zippy ! He is inspired by the online game "Little Wheel"...just a sketch i did when i was bored.

And this is my "Soon to become" masterpiece. XD

I played in MetalBattle (competition of metal bands), for a chance to play on Wacken...greatest metal festival ever. Although we were
    very good and audience loved us...Everybody were shure we won...even us...
    Sadly, we lost...and band that had won was....i don't know...very bad...amateur (even more than we are)....i had no words...

Anyways....this inspired me to do this sketch...you can see the simbolism...metalBATTLE !
    I will post painted one, as soon as i get enough experience XD
    If anyone would like to give it a try, i would gladly lend the file

Cheers all !! and tnx for everything !

well you can draw, but drawing is a little different then painting, the painting seemed rushed and hurried, you not painting with your subject or really looking at what you are painting, there are to many missing, main, details to called that finished.

You need to paint what it is not what you think it is if you can understand that. Try shading with a pencil (use that image of the musician, its kickass) and see how it works, jumping right into color is a big jump and without fully understanding value scales, its not going to turn out how it should.

Hey !
    I got ya....now i can see that it need a lot of detail...it was done in....1 hour...2 max..didn't really pay attention.
    But i'll try to work on drawings and than add color. Could turn out well i think...since i don't understand "value scales" as far as colors go...

Tnx for the advice...really good one ! I totally get the point and i can see the mistakes and how i can improve on some things !!

Cheers !

btw - musician in a self portrait Tnx for comment !

Its all in what your aiming for, if it's a lose painting then it fits the bill, if it's highly detailed then it definitely needs work. I took it for what it is and that's a nice lose painting, pleasant serene, don't get to caught up in details all the time, can spoil things in the end if your not careful.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

One of my books on beginning painting says, there is no right and wrong. It is all a matter of your interpretation of what you see. How close you come to what it would look like in a photo is up to you.
    I follow that becausse when I finish, I am usually not certain that is should be according to the Proper rules taught in an art school. I have never been to one.
    I liked the looks of it. Simple and clean.

Agreed !
    Whenever i do something, i don't think that it should be done by some rules.
    After all, art is the artist's interpretation of how HE/SHE see's world.

NO RULES is my motto But still, i am here to learn about some...techniques and trick in AR that will help me get the look i wanted.

You people really helped me explore and achieve the things i aim to do.
    Hope in time i will better myself and than help others to express themselves!

Cheers !