ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Blue eyes (trouble spots)

Blue eyes (trouble spots)

Hi, just got ArtRage a few days ago. This is my first attempt using the oil brush and a mouse (hoping to order a pen soon).

I used tracing with a black and white photo to get my general outlines - then did all color/shading etc.

I'm very unhappy with the lips. How do I make them more rounded looking (I've never had a art class or I'd probably know that).

I'm seeking honest critique here - anything about the painting that could be improved, suggestions on technique, etc.

Since I'm just starting I am a tabula rasa waiting to be shaped by your tips and guidance.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's not bad for a start, but what I would suggest is to go look in a mirror. Or skip through a bunch of magazines and really LOOK at people. See how the lips are shaped, how the shadows form and what they connect to. Find some lipstick commercials and look at the lips close up. Look at the eyes close up. What gives anything its shape, at least in drawing, is the shadow it makes. That gives it depth. Then just practice drawing lips. Using a picture to trace it or reference it is fine, but like I told my son, you still have to know its general shape, so use reference a few times, then try it on your own. Then practice the eyes, the nose, the mouth, etc until you know their forms by heart. Then and only then will you ever be able to draw realistic people. Practice, practice, practice. And good luck. Check out the tutorial sections. There are some good ones on portraits.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by annie_okay View Post
    I'm very unhappy with the lips. How do I make them more rounded looking (I've never had a art class or I'd probably know that).
    Basically, when it comes to enhancing form, the answer is usually in the contrast of shadows. For example, if we take a simple cone shape and look at it from a bird eyes view, taking away all shadows (leaving only it's contour lines), we would understand the image to be a representation of a circle rather then the cone it is. By adding shadows and highlights, the idea becomes more clear that the object has more form to it then the contour of the object reveals (see the attached image below).

Name:  shadows.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  15.4 KB

It may be that the light source from your reference doesn't really have all that much lighting itself, but sometimes it falls on us to take a certain artistic license with a piece to make it more understandable and dynamic to the viewer. Study your reference for the subtle shadows it does have and try enhancing them a bit more and see how it turns out.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It may be that the light source from your reference doesn't really have all that much lighting itself, but sometimes it falls on us to take a certain artistic license with a piece to make it more understandable and dynamic to the viewer. Study your reference for the subtle shadows it does have and try enhancing them a bit more and see how it turns out.
    May I extend on this and suggest that if no (or hardly any) shadows are available, then imagine the lightsource to be in the upper left corner? This seems to be the most natural lighting situation (to me, at least).

Regarding the blue eyes, make the pupils much more darker (almost black) and put in a small white spot for the light source, to make it look alive. See this picture:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Iris.eye.225px.jpg

i know its very hard at first. you should study your photo very very closely as you get to each part. like the lips or the eyes. study how the lines go and the size. try and draw the lips,eyes or whatever it is. dont work on the whole lip, just work on the lip piece by piece. I know this doesnt help much atm. just maybe give it a try. Also dont be afraid to total erase a part and start over. its looking pretty good for your first try and with out a pen. your going in the right direction.
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions... and the awesome visual references. I will definitely go back and visit the image this weekend and repost.

Smile Blue eyes

Hi Annie, I just had to reply. - - -I'm your neighbor, over here in Gainesville.

I think your painting is great, first time, or otherwise.

I've been an AR member for about 7 months and believe me, I am having trouble learning my way around the main screen and everywhere else.

Keep it up !

Welcome. Nice start.

My suggestion is do as many of these as you can. Once you hone in on skills you can rarely go back and duplicate the fresh primitive style and innocence of beginning artwork. Somewhere along the way you pick up technical information that heads towards realism I guess, but then you may miss out on many wonderful paintings along the way. All I am saying is do a bunch before you get all technical. Upon close examination of some masters' paintings you find brush strokes that would not be recognizable up close as what they are intended to be. Look for shapes within your subject. Perhaps a pair of lips looks like a bird in flight. Enjoy the art along the way to the restraints of drawing perfectly. You can find resources all over the web to draw figures and portraits realistically. How to draw hands, eyes, lips, etc. etc.