ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with water

Problems with water

I'm not sure what effect I was looking for the create the rippling and reflection effect of the water, but if figured to post it here. It looks crazy to me. However, the water does look rather tropical. What else should I add?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water something.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	32218  

Hi Evart, you'll find some great info and a couple of tutorials in this thread, always worth having a look at the tips and tricks section

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=14613
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Thanks silentman. I tried Khalid's tuturial on how to create water reflections, but I missed the mark along the way. I'm a slow learner when it comes to layers. I did this without the use of layers, but maybe that's the reason why it came out so messed up.

It's mostly in the blending from what i can gather, i'm not the most experienced with water around here lol.

One thing to remember, what makes water water is the reflections of the surroundings

EDIT: i would try and reduce the opacity of the sun and clouds reflection in the water, this would give them that reflection look your trying to achieve
    Last edited by Silentman; 08-22-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

water test

Evart, I'm not an expert on water, but I find the roller and simple soft blend gives a water effect, this is just one colour but with varying blues and green and as Silentman said if there's anything near it's usually reflected in the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you Sandyg. It was something you said, that made me find the problem. In this new image, this was the effect I was looking for. I did it, I'm so greatful to you for suggesting to change the knife tool. I put the knife down to 1 percent, and brushed over. The effect I was aiming for happened. Thank you so much yippee

Name:	Wind in the clouds.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	32273  

I'm glad you found the effect you wanted, that's some cool water Evart, I'm glad I helped a bit , the best way is to play around, I've even added a bit of metal to water and it worked well. Also I've used chalk when doing waves which has also worked well.

You've done a good job there Evart, i like the painting very much, the water looks great, i'm not sure what it's reflecting but it ll seems to blend nicely and the sky is excellent, very moody, it has a quality all of it's own.

Congratulations on discovering water
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Your images are evolving rapidly. Each one is far more complex than previous trials. I look forwards to see what you will do in the future!

Edit: Peter Pinckney has done some amazing things with waves. He's been helping me with my wave problems here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=21366 if you want to see how I've been fairing with water. =D Knives are the way to go.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Thank you Gray. The waves in your tutorial looks awesome, that may be my next attempt. However, this image is a bit more of what I was trying to acheive with the water thing.

Name:	Three trees at the lake.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	32308