ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Off Topic Help

Off Topic Help

I finally pulled out all those old digital camcorder tapes and am in the painstaking process of converting them to digital and burning to DVD. I am way confused on compression and what to use as far as AVI, MPEG, WMV etc...

It seem's as though I am unable to get excellent quality. High quality and I have a 20 gig one hour movie. If I compress it to a level that fits onto a 4 gig DVD, the quality seems shot. Where is the happy medium? How do they fit full length cinema movies with theatre sound, special features, and all that at on a DVD at such high quality when I can't even seem how to find a way to fit my little 1 hour home movies on one? Any help on this would awesome. Thanks!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

It sounds as if your completely uncompressed there, if you can you might like to use the H.264 format, perhaps Divx will come to your rescue, it's free and has the codec, i use Adobe Premiere for all the DvD needs, but it's be along time since i have done anything as far as home movies goes.

Best bet, compress your file with Mpeg 2 format, and go from there, not sure what your using to transfer from DVI, if i knew that i might be able to help ya little more.

20Gig!! i've never had a movie 20 gigs before lol, i made a movie once was just over and hour long and got it onto the disk with room to spare

If you want menus and stuff there are many programs but most will cost you something
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Thanks Silentman! I did try mpeg2 in Adobe premiere and it worked just fine. The quality still isn't as nice as the original raw DVI but the file sizes are much much better than in DV AVI format. Thanks for the info!
    Eckhart Tolle

Hi Sketch

You will find that most Cinema DVDs are actually 9 to 18 gb in size and that the blank ones you buy to burn on are 4.7gb to stop you copying films easily.

What format you choose is down to what you want to play the finished dvd on, if it's a computer mpeg is the most common. If it's going to be on a DVD player attached to a TV then you need to find out what that can handle because some will play everything and some won't.

There is also the issue of DVD - and DVD + again most computers will handle both but some older DVD players will want one or the other.

Finally with the file size, don't be tempted to use HD quality unless you are planning on playing it on a HD 50" plasma screen or similar, some apps default to HD as it is the "Latest Thing".

Hope that helps... A little experimentation is in order....

Ah! The money makers own the rights to the Alien technology...Gotch ya Fraser! Thanks also for the HD info... I was wondering about that also! Very cool and thank you!
    Last edited by Sketchism71; 08-23-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Eckhart Tolle