ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mountains

Gallery
    View images

Mountains

I've run into some detail problems. I've thought about cropping the left half of the picture off to make it seem more full, but I don't know if I should do that or find more details to add. Here is my sketch and rough ref pic. Let me know if you have any ideas. I took the picture on a trip through the Middle East.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	32145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27-12-07_0822.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	32146  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Gray it looks beautiful. Colors and contrast are nice. I like it as it is.

Gallery
    View images
    Are they graves on top of the hill, or is it a shrine of some sort, do tell, very interesting picture, must have been quite and experience traveling through the middle east

Oh and i agree, looks great as it is, needs more texture is all
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I'd like to suggest to lighten the mountains in the background (just like in the photo you posted) and to add some more detail to the foreground (grass, little rocks etc.) This will bring the focus to the tree and landscape in the foreground.

Gallery
    View images
    Lighten up mountains, textures. If I get enough detail in there it should fill itself out I guess.

@orianelima: Thanks! Even if the colors and contrast is about right, I feel the image is a little empty? Thanks for encouragement though.

@silentman: Not graves or shrine or anything interesting really. Just a lot of rocks. This picture was taken in Yemen, the south most corner of the Arabian peninsula. The mountains between the empty quarter and the red sea get a little bit of rain on the western edge, and it creates this lush fertile land, but then all the moisture gets sucked out of the clouds as they go over, and you get very very dry weather on the eastern side of the mountains. Lots of beautiful scenery, I've got a pile of ref pics, I should do a few more paintings of the area; it has a lot of character, which makes it easier to capture some of it on canvas.

@smien: Thanks for suggestions. I think you are right, I'll try to add the details you suggested; as it is, I've got too much impressionism and not quite enough artistic work. =D
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Gray, you're welcome. I guess it's a matter of focus. By lightening the background, you bring the focus to the foreground. And then you want something exciting to show in the foreground.

Gallery
    View images
    Nice. Consider:
    - texture and detail in foreground
    - lighting in foreground - it's all uniform - vary to make interesting.
    - lighten mountains; consider blurring edges with sky a little.
    - decide on vocal point; accentuate accordingly.
    Again, nice.