Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to setting up a Artrage Paining for Print.

Guide to setting up a Artrage Paining for Print.

Hi everyone.

I'm a graphic designer by trade and I want to clear somethings up, give some advice and explain some of the different printing styles and ways so you can set your artwork up from the start to be printed.

When starting a artrage drawing, you will be presented with a box.
    In this box is where you should set your preset.

For the purpose of this, I will be using a A4 as a example but you should have a papersize (well, at least a ratio) of what you want to be printing on. If you know what you want to be printing on, type the dimensions here.

A4 = 148 × 210

So since I am planing to print this bit of artwork, I would say it needs to be 300 dpi. After many trail and error, 400dpi works better in artrage for the super detailed drawings.

The DPI or Dots per inch is the res of the image. Basically, if we set 400 dpi, there will be 400 dots per inch resulting in a much cleaner job and makes you artwork look that much more how it should.

Colours, this is a huge topic so I will only touch wood and try not to bore you with advanced colour mangerment. There are two types, CMYK (Cyan, mangeta, yellow and black) and RGB (red, green and blue) You can ONLY print in CMYK but your computer screen is displaying rgb.

O noes!

well don't worry. Artrage has .psd support. Save your file in the .psd format and take it into something like photoshop and change the values to CMYK, the screen will guess and give you a rough idea of the print out colour. Most of the time though, really bright colours will be dimmided and will become pastely.

While we are on this note, you need to adjust your screen's setup to get corrent colour. THIS IS IMPORANT and you should do it now so you don't forget. The better the screen the better it displays colours and lots of other cool stuff.

http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-Your-Monitor

Also some screens come with colour software to help you get the good result for both printing and screenwork.

Once you have finshed your painting and want to get it printed the amount of options you can get is mindblowing.

For the most part, a good digital barrel printer will give you want you want on some nice paper. Make sure the paper is Acid free and the ink they are using is UV PROTECTED.

Some places will do artprints, I highly suggest you use these. Also sites like DA have print options (I have a DA print account, the quaility is amazing with there Giclée printers) It might cost more, but it will be ready for framing (ask them to leave about a 10mm white border around the outside for framing and bleed)

Things you can do with your art print wise thats possible now.

- Print onto ANY surface. Anything from a trash can or your computer case.

- Print onto CANVAS, this is great, its ready to go when you pick it up from the printer and hang on the wall, no framing required.

- Print onto paper with interesting folds like a chinise crane.

Anything you can think of you can do nowadays.
    Any questions about printing artrage paintings or anything you want me to talk more about just ask.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey there Turtleman: All very helpful. Perhaps as a professional graphic designer you can review a couple of issues in greater detail, to wit:

You suggest preparing AR paintings at 400 dpi. But ArtRage performance degrades to near unworkable at 400dpi with print dimensions much above 11 X 17. People who want to create paintings that will print out to, say, 24 X 36 need guided advice on preparing artwork in AR at dpi and print size settings that make it possible to work efficiently in AR and prepare an acceptable file for resampling in third party software (like Photozoom) that they or their printer can successfully reproduce to match the visual reproduction goals envisioned in their smaller AR file.

(Note, if you are not aware, resampling up in AR with the AR rsampling algorithim, especially where bump lighting is involved in the painting, can visually shift a lower resolution painting considerably; likewise AR will crash resampling up for large paintings. AR should be used for painting, not pre-production file preparation.)

Much misinformation is provided in this forum and elsewhere about managing the AR files at large DPI and blowing up paintings to large sizes. As a professional perhaps you can provide detailed guidance specifically geared to those who plan to blow up their paintings.

Sketchism started another thread recently to gather information about printing AR paintings. The link is http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=21392. I will put a note about your thread there. And maybe you could pop over to that thread and share your professional expertise. People will be very appreciative of unambiguous and accurate guidance about this particular printing issue.

Thanks a lot for helping everybody out.
    Best,
    Byron
    Last edited by byroncallas; 08-18-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you so much Turtleman! This was so helpful.

Gallery
    View images
    Very well said Byron
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you very much for the information on printing Turtleman. It was an interesting read and helpful.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks turtleman.

Though nowadays dpi and ppi are used pretty much interchangeably in actuality dpi is output on a printer and ppi is digital representation of pixels per inch in a software program. Other things like line screen and screen angles come into play at the printer based on lithographic reproduction on a four color or six color process printer.

For simplicity of printing your prints on inkjet printers here is a really simple printing formula.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...820#post207820

Gallery
    View images
    I'm gonna be absolutely clear here, 150 Dpi is more than enough, 300 Dpi is excessive in most cases, you don't need to convert everything to CMYK, injet printers print RGB quite well, CMYK is largely for professional/commercial printing, which the majority of ArtRage users are not doing, most of us will go down to the local store and have some prints done, the majority will print them off at home on the inkjet

That is all
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    Anywhere between 200 dpi and 300 dpi is good for photos or images and it sort of depends on the quality of your printer too. I have had amazing results at 300 dpi with a high end printer.

Gallery
    View images
    Turtle thank you very much nice. Very useful information.

Gzair I saw that link. Great information, thanks.

I'm studying everything you guys are saying.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Gzaire, whilst i tend to agree with you, i have a different perspective lol.

This is my understanding, 1st PPi and DPI, Dpi dots on a page, PPI pixels on a screen, all the images here are seen at 72 or maximum 96 PPI depending on the viewers pc, this is why i say 150 DPI is a nice happy medium, provided your printing on good paper and have a printer thats worth $100 or more dollars, you will indeed get a nice print, i am talking A4, anything bigger is gonna require more juice (PPI or DPI depending which end of the process your talking about lol)

So it's great to be able to print at 300 DPI, but don't stress if you only have 150 DPI, the difference will be marginal, if i was hanging my art in a gallery, i would convert to CMYK and send it to the professionals, at home i will always be most pleased with RGB and 150 PPI and DPI, it does a nice job and ArtRage prefers it that way lol.

Just to be super clear on terminology.

PPI - Pixels Per sqaure Inch, if you have a 22' monitor like mine, you maybe running it at 96 PPI Resolution, 96 Pixels per every single sqaure inch, not the round inches, they don't count hehehe joking lol.

DPI - Dots Per sqaure Inch, is the amount of individual dots per square inch on any given paper type medium for printing. The more the merrier, you could even print at 600 DPI and get the paper completely drunk on dots of ink, but for a happy medium, "for me" 150 DPI is super, not unledeaded huh hmm.... hang on that's petrol, oh oh well anyways you get my point i think...

HAve a mArvelous priNTing dAy EveryOne
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22