ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Sketchup Is a Must Have for Visulization

Gallery
    View images

Google Sketchup Is a Must Have for Visulization

Man, i haven't seen Sketchup since about version 3 and i'm glad i followed my inclination to download it today.

My intention was to display models of famous landmarks to be able to get a rendering to sketch of them, and boy i am totally amazed.

What an awesome artist tool, with in minutes i had downloaded the Sydney Opera House and was able to display shadows all set by the Sun angle at different times of the year, even though i have 3Ds Max experience there was absolutely nothing to it, it takes just minutes to download a park scene complete with tables and benches and roman Colosseum, or perhaps a skyscraper, or even a person in 3d form, there are literally thousands of models to choose from.

Being able to change the time of day and time of the year gives you an unlimited set of variations of highly accurate shadows "Real Shadow Details" produced instantly, with very very simple controls, i'm in sketching heaven, i'd had enough of photo's and i have now found my new sketching resource.

Either type in your browser Google Sketchup version 7 plus you will need the latest Google Earth, version 5, and bob's your aunty

The links: Sketchup comes in both the Pro version and the "Free version" the Free Version is what i was using

I've put a snap of my current view

http://sketchup.google.com/

http://earth.google.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OperaHouse@9.30PM_Febuary.PNG 
Views:	330 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	31947  
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Oh wow, that is great Silentman! I will certainly check it out! Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    Pretty cool huh Alex
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    Nice idea and helpful too!
    BTB:
    In 1957, a relatively unknown, 39 year old Danish architect named Jorn Utzǿn won the international competition to design the Sydney Opera House. But, Uzǿn's sketch was initially rejected. And later on accepted ... that is a different story!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

Gallery
    View images
    wow that is just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, Google SketchUp is a cool program. I've used it from time to time over the past few years. I once used it to make a 3D desk that was later used for a business card. It also came in very handy when I had to figure out how to arrange a rented showroom floor. I recreated the available space and then made scale renderings of each display I had and a few other things. I was then able to set up the space in a number of ways without breaking my back by doing it with the real things in the limited space.

Here are screen shots of some of the things I've made it with:

Name:  desk1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  53.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	31969

Name:	layout1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	31970

Name:	layout2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	31971

Name:	layout3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	31972
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Excellent stuff SS, i wonder who the third person was, i know who the other two are, they are the default models, but the 3rd person has a proper face

I didn't mention either, aside from being able to change the time of day, the time of year, the year itself, you can also rotate the model really really easily, which means there really are no limitations to the variations you can have looking at a building or landscape

Wenkat, yup amazing story in itself, the Opera House is probably the most prestige venue for any artist to perform in within Sydney. If you got a gig at the OH you know you've cracked the big time lol, imo it is the most beautiful design to date, way ahead of it's time and the story is so so typical of human nature to reject what they actually like most, in favor of something that looks right instead

Possibly unknown fact, one of my favorite bands Crowded House did their very last performance on the steps of the Opera House, makes me sad everytime i think about them breaking up
    Last edited by Silentman; 08-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Gallery
    View images
    Heya Col,
    excellent post!
    I've been using Sketchup since last 3 years or so and I'm such a fan that if I could I'd do everything in it. Right now i'm trying to get into ruby scripting (that's what sketchup uses) to evolve into a higher plane with it. I've almost stopped using any other cad programs (even the ever-encompassing omnipresent ones lol) and I do consider myself pretty good at it .
    so in case anyone is using it and runs into problems just drop me a line & I'll try my best to help out.
    here's a small sample of how I normally use it..

Attached Images Attached Images   
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    Thats way cool Flyashy. I only downloaded sketchup a couple of days ago and still trying to get my head round it.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Thats way cool Flyashy. I only downloaded sketchup a couple of days ago and still trying to get my head round it.

I'm sure you'll pick it up pretty quickly with devoted time to it. The images of the showroom space I posted were made on my second day of messing around with it. It's mostly just getting used to the shortcuts that takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Excellent stuff SS, i wonder who the third person was, i know who the other two are, they are the default models, but the 3rd person has a proper face

Oh, him...? He's just someone that wandered in. He looks sane enough to leave in there without causing trouble .
    Last edited by Someonesane; 08-21-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.