ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Scanner Purchase Recommendations

Scanner Purchase Recommendations

I need to buy a flatbed scanner. I don't want an all in one machine, i.e. printer, copier, scanner. Just some recommendations or features to look for...easy to use. I'm totally an amateur, am not looking for the least expensive but I think I have heard Canon's are really good. There are so many models to choose from. I want to be able to scan sketches, minimally and colors, too. I've never had one. I use Windows XP Home edition. Thanks!

Back in the 80s or 90s it was more of a chore to buy a good scanner. Comparing tech details, features, not to mention the astronomical prices.

Now that the calendar date is set to 2009, buying a scanner is more like buying Tylenol, especially since we are not talking about buying hi-tech scanners that cost over 1000 bucks. Only the packaging is different, but what's inside, will equally make your pain go away.

Basically any scanner that will cost at least $100 bucks or so will do an excellent job. It's really not a rocket science. Eg, I have an Epson scanner that I bought new for 80 bucks about 3 years ago. Works like a charm.

Some people still have old films/negatives (photo) that they might like to scan. In those cases, it's nice to look for a scanner that provides a case of some sort where you can put the negatives in for scanning.

Also, nowadays most (if not all) consumer scanner use USB connection, so make sure you have an extra available USB port.

Other than that, scanners are just fast food (eg extremely simple). Pick your favorite brand and scan away. They usually come with an application for scanning. In that, you can have choices how you want to scan. Basic/novice users can use the (I call it) click-and-go settings. Advanced users can use a different tab/choice/dialog box (depending on how it is presented to the user) where you can have absolute detailed and fine control over your scanning.
    Last edited by pentool; 08-15-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    --LES

The pentool is right; scanners are simple. I just replaced some ancient thing half the size of my desk with a Canon LiDe 200. It works perfectly, draws power over the USB cable rather yet another power brick, price was $80.

Bought from Newegg. I'd post a link but I'm not allowed to; insufficient posts.

And rather than the Canon software I use Irfanview. Free image viewer with some basic editing features. Simple and easy to use.
    Last edited by eleventhhand smoke; 08-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Yep go canon, if you want to spend the big bucks go Epson, all the Photographers use Epson, but that's mainly the printer not the scanner.

I've got a nice all in one Canon about $200 worth, does everything and has some very advanced features for when i'm scanning old photo's for retouching and what have you.

Make sure you get a scanner with high enough ppi/resolution capabilities, sometimes scanning things like old photo's or very rough sketches at high detail/resolution will give you more opportunities than at low res, but in saying that i rarely scan above 450 ppi
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Great answers, all of you!! Mega thanks. So helpful.