ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Block edge of stencil

Block edge of stencil

Hi ArtRagers,

I would like an easier way to prevent painting over the edge of a stencil. Normally I don't want to go over the edge and I end up erasing the excess, or I try to block the edge by putting four rulers around it. Sizing and positioning the rulers is a pain, and erasing ruins the hard edge.

Can stencils have the option to stop you painting over the edge?

Thanks!

Hi Sunflower,

Depending on the stencil you use, you should be able to prevent going outside the edges.

Have you tried zooming in far enough so that you can properly see what you are doing, and at the same time, reducing the tool size when you get to the tricky parts?

Why not post a pic of what you have trouble with, so that we can have a better understanding of where/what exactly the problem is?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

yvan_c

If you're having trouble with a particular stencil, you could always open the stencil in ArtRage as an image and then add white space around the edges. This will increase the border area making it easier to stay in bounds.

Name:  Border.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  48.2 KB

But if the problem is with the various parts within the stencil itself (such as trying to fill in the "O" in the stencil above and always getting color in part of the "N") then you could try setting the stencils mode to "Ruler". Sometimes this will help keep things bottled up. Though, if you're are using a large brush size, you will likely always have some overlapping. I usually always do my stencil work on a layer above the main layer, so if anything should go line I can always erase it away without disturbing the color beneath it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I was working with one of foxytocin's fractal stencils, where the image covers the whole stencil, so I want to go colour all the way to the edge. I tried Someonesane's suggestion but I couldn't figure out how to add white space, and converting the image into a stencil gave me a frame. On the other hand, I could use the frame as a border stencil.

However, all of this is very cumbersome, and I would prefer a simpler solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Perhaps breaking it down into steps:

1- If you have ArtRage open and you are currently working on something, save the work now, because the next step will close the project.

2 - With your work saved, go to "File > Import Image..." to import the image of the stencil (do not confuse this option with the "Import Image to Layer" option, as they do not work in the same way).

3 - With the image imported, select "Edit > Resize the Canvas" (do not confuse this option with "Resize the Painting", as they do not have the same effect).

4 - Change the Percentage options to "130%" and click "OK".

Name:  130.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  24.0 KB

5 - Now hit the "F5" key on your keyboard once to turn off the 3D lighting ArtRage uses (this is important, because it will remove any of the canvas grain that would otherwise effect the stencil when it's done).

6 - To finish, go to "File > Export as Image..." and save the image as a .png (for best results).

Now you will have the same stencil with a border around it. Just open the project you were working on and import the stencil you changed.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

What a great tip! Thanks very much SS.

Indeed an excellent tip there SS, bah that's it from now on your SS lol, much easier than Someonesane or i am just lazy lol, prolly just me hehe

Heh Hmmm... excellent tip and will be using that one FOR Sure......
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Thanks for the tip,it's really useful!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

This works really well. Thank you for the clear explanation!