ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The History and Creation of Ralph

The History and Creation of Ralph

RALPH

THE STORY AND THE RECIPE

of

THE GREAT AMERICAN CURRY

AS TOLD AND PRESENTED BY ITS CREATOR

For reasons I can't explain, I was visited by a cooking muse one day in the early 1980s. My daughter was about ten at the time and can attest to the fact that I was making it up as I went along while she watched. At some point in the process she asked me what I was going to call it and, off the top of my head, I said, "Let's call it Ralph.". Meaning to be facecious, I didn't instantly make the association between the proper name and the vulgar verb. Despite the less than appropriate name, it was an instant hit with my wife and kids and became an often requested meal. Over the intervenng years I have used roughly the same recipe but I feel that today I have come close to perfecting it. I'm fairly certain that the list of ingredients and the process of creation would make Chefs Gordon Ramsay and Wolfgang Puck collectvely "ralph". Well, what can you expect from people who bake kidney pies and eat scallops and cook risotto and use ingredients like capers and shallots? You can't even find that stuff here. Yeah, go to our local "grocer" and ask for some kidneys. They'll look at you like you're Scottish, then try to effect an accent, and say, "Are ye daft? We 'ave scurvy, mangy dogs 'anging round the back door 'o won't eat those. We throw em at em when we want ta scare em away. Fer the really big uns, we 'ave livers 'at we save up ta throw." But I digress ...
    All measurements are according to taste and are approximate. There is no measuring in Ralph!
    1 large fry pan with cover
    1 one quart sauce pan with cover
    -
    2 Tbl spoons cooking oil
    1/2 C finely chopped onion
    1 lb ground beef
    1 Tbl spoon fennel seed
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp parsley
    1 tsp sage
    1Tbl spoon garlic powder
    1 Tbl spoon basil
    1 Tbl spoon oregano
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/2 tsp ground red pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    -
    2 beef boullion cubes
    2 cups water
    1 cup instant rice
    -
    Heat oil in fry pan and saute onions part way.
    Add ground beef, fennel seed, and celery seed.
    Cook thoroughly on medium-high then remove from heat.
    Do not drain. Are ye daft?
    Add and stir in remaining spices, then cover.
    -
    In the sauce pan, boil water and boullion cubes until cubes dissolve.
    Add rice, bring back to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let rice set for 5 minutes.
    Add rice to meat mixture and gently reheat on low, covered.
    -
    Generously serves two and is one of those dishes that tastes even better reheated the next day.

sounds good Robert.... I'll give it a go. I may even add a touch of tumeric for good memory function.

It does sound wonderful Robert, I will join GZ on this one-but I need atleast a cup of Tumeric!

Memory? I used to have a memory ... I think. I could be wrong; I was once before but it turned out that I wasn't so I was wrong about that.

A cup of tumeric will have you remembering past lives. (Ah yes, I recall when I was the Chief of the Shanbobo tribe and we were practicing making something to strap on our feet that would keep us from stepping on nettles and hornet nests while we perfected the art of keeping our knuckles off the ground.) Ah, those were the eons.

Sounds yummy Robert! I will try it out and tell my family that they are eating Roberts Ralph! Thanks!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Oh, that's just disgusting. lol

Past lives huh? That would be a great fantasy discussion! I always said that I feel as if I came from the revolutionary period and must have been a maid for a wealthy family. Yes, I am recalling gathering up the chamber pots, and scrubbing the clothes...uh...and pealing potatoes.

Robert- I have learned to click on your posts without fail. You always have something good for us. Thanks, this sounds delicious. I fear I must eat alone though when I make it as my wife and daughter have very finicky pallets and narrow ideas about what tastes good. Sooooo,,, I'll be eating my Ralph solo.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

David, I know all about finicky palates. That's the odd thing about all of this Ralph business: my wife loves it! If I don't make it for awhile, she requests it. It's counter-intuitive in the case of that normally "meat and potatoes" girl.