Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

A couple more points.

1) Has anybody ever synched there colour between the screen and the printer with one of the special tools that are available? They compare the printer out put colours and the screen. You stick them on the screen like a three legged spider.

2) When you've done all the tinkering that you can and things seem great, don't then buy a different brand of ink!

Lastly,
    I have just used up my first set of Epson inks and switched to a set that were 1/4 the price.

The printouts have lost the red cast and now look better!

I think that chance is as big a factor as skill.

Printing is a minefield whether you do it yourself or pay someone else.

My best results are now done using HP paper in an Epson printer equipped with cheap and cheerful ink!

Phil

UK members might like to try this! It would result in a Printed Painting with the light coming through it, the ultimate fusion.
    http://www.creativelydifferentblinds.com/
    Last edited by Aged P; 08-17-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Phil's post says a few powerful points in a few words.

Printing is particularly a minefield when the client's demand for a so-called perfect result is inconsistent with the laws of physics and chemistry, an all too common occurrence. The result is enormous amounts of wasted time and money to try to achieve something only one person in the world out of 9 billion will notice.

In an earlier incarnation (much earlier) I spent nine years representing clients on press with commercial printers to achieve contract printing goals. The art is the management of the complex mechanics, physics, and chemistry of printing to minimize (but never eliminate) the random effects of chance and gravity to achieve an affordable acceptable result. Achievable and affordable married to acceptable are the operative words. And in the context of working with competent professionals, common sense is the guiding light.

Strangely, with clients common sense is often the first victim, quickly followed by a dwindling bank account.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Byron... I owe you more for that response than I do Costco for the prints I just ordered! Wow... A lot of information that is still processing in my VRAM (Very Random and Aging Memory). I will defenitly also look in to calabrating my monitor. I see there are a few different ways to do that. This is a good link if anyone is interested http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

I have some friends that own a fairly large company who's product is taking and printing photos of youth sports. They have a huge printing lab that is capable of the larger format and canvas prints but I've not yet picked their brains about all this. Maybe my next printing will be with them in a more intimate setting where I can dive in and see all this at the working level. Right now, with my limited knowledge of the printing industry, it is difficult to comprehend.

As far as the Costco prints, hopefully they will turn out acceptable. I'm not that picky because they are just for personal use and they were pretty inexpensive. I think I will just be happy to see it in large format and not on a monitor. In the future, I will be interested in more expensive higher quality images but I feel I need some printing mileage and knowledge before I dive into that. Thanks for an awesome response! Yes, I can absolutely see the difference in the light function with your paintings...Yikes!

Phil - My sister is a graphic designer and she has one of those monitor spider things... I should ask her about it.

Thanks for some great posts... This is exactly what I was hoping this thread would turn into!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Sketch. The link you provided for calibration is a good one. It's been sitting on my desktop for a couple of months while I get around to ordering their simple tools. It should be sufficient for most of us. If Juz ever buzzes over here I'd be interested in her thoughts on monitor calibration.

By all means pick the brains of your friends and go to their plant and have them walk you through their process. That kind of experience can't be beat.

Yes, when you get your prints (and if they are acceptable) it's thrilling seeing your paintings in larger formats, off the monitor, and up on our walls. It's the full realization of all your work. It's a shame so many of these things stay locked up in a digital file on a hard drive somewhere and don't make it out and up on a wall where they they can be more fully appreciated. Paintings like your "Before the Storm" are so much more emotionally satisfying at say 4x3 feet, etc. That's when they can really take your breath away.

Later Mr. Sketch,
    Byron

Thanks Byron. Those were all printed at home. The ones I sell I send off to www.pixeloutpost.com to be printed as giclees. They do an admirable job of fine tuning the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    Thanks Byron. Those were all printed at home. The ones I sell I send off to www.pixeloutpost.com to be printed as giclees. They do an admirable job of fine tuning the colors.
    Sketch - there you are; Robert said everything I said but in one sentence. Use a really good giclee printer.

Whats happened to Juzzy, i haven't seen her post for a couple of weeks now, has anyone heard from her ??
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Whats happened to Juzzy, i haven't seen her post for a couple of weeks now, has anyone heard from her ??

Good question Silentman. I've wondered the same; I've missed her.

Hi Guys,

Even Professional Printers can be suspect!

Many, many, many years ago I used to help out in my uncle's print shop. Treadling the Arab printer which had a beautiful stallion embossed on it, or trying to keep the Heidleberg on tune. It was a two man outfit plus me occasionally. After a while it became obvious that i could mix ink colours better than the partner. After a little longer it became obvious that he was genuinely "Colour Blind"! It was all downhill after that!

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

A good one Phil. And not all that uncommon. With printers, ya gotta do yer homework. But once you have a good one you're usually fine for a while.