Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

Looks great Madge! That's a great idea with the frames...design the art to fit the frame. Could save a lot of money in the long run buying frames in advance that are on sale! Thanks for the post!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Raybrite View Post
    They should make a room freshener with the smell of the art studio after a painting for when we finish one.
    Nice paintings.

ugh, no thanks - the smell of paint makes me ill.

Re: printing. I didn't do it - i gave my stuff to a local printer, and sold the above (some of it, anyway *sad* ) at a local art convention.

What I had to be sure of:
    dpi (300 or more)
    size - this particular printer wanted each file to be EXACTLY right (eg, a6 size for postcards, a5 etc - minus 5mm for trimming. )
    - be aware of whether you want a border or fullbleed, as you can lose stuff around the edges

Colour! this was a big one. Firstly you don't know until it prints EXACTLY what it will be like. Secondly, if you can get at Photoshop (i used a friend's) or something else (what?) that can convert to CYMK (ink colours) from RGB (all possible colours - computer default) then do it. Most of mine where fine, but there were a few colours - the sky in this picture, for example - that need extra inks, so only very professional/expensive places (eg Redbubble) will print it properly (I bought some cards from them ^_^ )

Also, paper type (plain paper? what can the printer handle eg ink or laser) gsm (210 is thin card, 100 is thin paper, 250 is thick card etc)

Thanks heaps Madge great to know that an ink jet will do a nice job, the cup cake looks great

Excellent Flynn, was hoping you would come back with some more info
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Great idea Sketch. Love the looks of that baseball over the fireplace.

While I'm not an expert on the subject, I have just enough knowledge to do serious damage. I've printed a number of my ArtRage paintings and plan to print many more. When I free up some time I'll participate more in this thread. I have a keen interest in the experience of others using modern printing processes, and especially with blowing up AR file exports to expanded dimensions.

As a quickie, I've always printed my ArtRage paintings on canvas at a commercial copy center using large six-color HP Inkjet Plotters. The plotter can handle items up to around 44 inches wide and any length. It's quite decent quality but will never compare to the professional results obtainable with giclee printing (also an inkjet process, but it actually prints real texture that matches your original). Processes like giclee can produce astounding reproductions, often looking unexpectedly better than your digital file.

The most important thing to remember is that no printing process will ever match your digital file perfectly. There will always be differences that you may prefer or hate. The art of printing your paintings (when reproduction fidelity is a serious issue) is learning how to work with your printer to make judgment calls for varying color and tone that provides you with an artistically acceptable result that can be obtained with the processes and equipment being employed. Physics matters. If you want the best possible results with low print runs, use giclee processes. For mass print production, offset lithography is still the best way to go, but I don't think that's the discussion here.

When engaging the printing process with high-fidelity in mind, it's important to put on your "mature" hat and work cooperatively with qualified printers to collaboratively produce satisfying results. Anything else is a recipe for frayed nerves and murder.

If all you care is to print out small paintings to size from your AR files, often getting your prints at Costco or Sam's etc. is more than satisfactory even as it is imperfect. What's acceptable to you is what matters. If you want fine-art results where fidelity is critical, work with professionals and get educated about the strengths, weaknesses and limitations about various printing processes. If you simply can't be bothered with all that, but still want good results, find a good printer you trust, trust them, and let them do the best that they can, which is often a heck of a lot. Listen to them. If they need something from you, give it to them.

If you plan to blow up your paintings large, professional re-sampling software, like Photozoom3 (software types that either you or your printers use) is a must. Blowing up your artwork with dimensions that substantially exceed your native ArtRage files is a point of discussion for this thread. For most of us, giving the job to qualified printers is the best solution, and you get what you pay for. For those who want to be intimately involved in every step of the reproduction of their paintings in large sizes, familiarity with planning and managing massive file enlargements will pay off handsomely.

These are my quick thoughts. I hope this thread takes off. Again, I'm keenly interested in the successful experience of those who regularly blow up their paintings and how they approach getting the best results. There is so much new technology out there, I live somewhat in an older era of printing, and am keen to better understand the best that modern printing technology at affordable costs has to offer.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 08-13-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Thanks Flynn... Congratulations on the sell... It is always a bitter sweet thing to do.

Byron...Thanks for the awesome post. I knew this was traveled territory for you and was hoping you would join in and share your printing adventures with us. I to plan to have some more stuff printed and will share the results as it happens.
    Eckhart Tolle

I used some really brushy paint thickness along with the metallic setting as a sort of faux impasto gold leaf background frame sort of thing around a spliced in photo of a guitarist for a cd cover and it looked most convincing as a painted surface.

That paint viscosity look was my big question and it read great in my context.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

wow the baseball looks awesome Sketch. good idea for a thread. Liked the cupcake too Madge... that turned out great in print.

Note to self ... take at least one picture tomorrow of my printed and framed works.

Air Terminal Concept
    Print on Canvas 40x60cm
    Name:  9359396240_cb96bddde6_o.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  131.6 KB

VARIUS WORKS:

Name:  lavori01censured.jpg
Views: 5623
Size:  190.9 KB

Last edited by misterpaint; 01-15-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

The artwork is amazing misterpaint and the prints look fantastic. Thank you for posting them! Any hints or tips you can give for anyone wanting to print?

Hope all is well with you and again thank you for the post!
    Eckhart Tolle