Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

could we sticky this thread?

question for the guys?
    could we sticky this thread for all the times printing questions come up?
    it beats searching. even if we moved the thread to tips and tricks?

just had some prints shipped to me by Gary. they turned out great.
    here is a link about the on one perfect resize software:

http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/onone-p...ftware-review/

and if you are a student or have one living at home you can buy it here:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/onOne+...Resize/1480675
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-06-2012 at 12:49 PM.

turned out great Stefano.

wouldn't this be a great thread to sticky since printing questions come up so often on the forum.

AR to Poster Print

I wanted to test out how prints would come out so tried getting a poster print. Kept the AR resolution and canvas size. No edits done in any other software. Printed posted is 18 x 24. Poster made by ShortRunPosters and I think I paid less than $15 for 3 shipped. Photo attached does not do justice to the output which looks much better when framed.

Mitali
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120513_183928.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	66902  

Twaager Guest

OneOne Perfect Resize is not the best

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    question for the guys? could we sticky this thread for all the times printing questions come up? it beats searching. even if we moved the thread to tips and tricks?
    just had some prints shipped to me by Gary. they turned out great. here is a link about the on one perfect resize software:
    I have examined the OneOne Perfect Rezize 7 and find it good. But not the best as it comes to the resizing quality. But that is a question of taste, maybe. The OnOne software is a bit complex, but there are some good video tutorials to learn from. But Photoshop Elements 10 does a job, as good as the Perfect Rezize 7. This is my experiment and how I performed it.

I shot an image of a book on a table cloth with my handheld camera. The resolution of the image 3648 x 2736 (38,61 cm x 28,96 cm, 15,2 in x 11,4 in) at 240 dpi. That means 11,8 MB. In Photoshop I used the Camera Raw to adjust light and distortion but no sharpening. The sharpening was done after resizing. Resizing was at 260% to get the EU standard poster size 70 x 100 cm (27.6 in x 39.4 in), just like the poster in my attachment.

In Photoshop Elements 10 the resizing was carried out by using the Nearest Neighbor algoritm. This gives a sharp edge. The resizing took 2 seconds. The Unsharp Masking added a slight sharpening. I used Scott Kelbys recommendations on sharpening not to oversharp or add artifacts to the photo.

In OnOne Perfect Resize 7 I carried out the resize by using the standard settings. After about 5 minutes! it was over. I used the same sharpening as in the Photoshop example. The relsult was not anyway better than that Photoshop performed. So why pay for a plugin while you can do the same work on a fraction of the time? Here are links to part of the photo for you to examine, each 12,5 x,12,5 cm (5 x 5 in).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4914643/Elements.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4914643/Perf...ize%207%20.jpg

If you want a poster at bigger size? Well that takes another camera than mine. Maybe Nokia 808? Or a Hasselblad Ferarri?
    Last edited by Twaager; 05-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    question for the guys?
    could we sticky this thread for all the times printing questions come up?
    it beats searching. even if we moved the thread to tips and tricks?
    No problem! I've made this a sticky thread in Tips and Tricks and put a redirect in from general chat for a while to help previous posters find it.

Cool Printing

I am also new to digital painting, and have only returned to art in the last year, having found AR3.5 - and now upgraded to t AR4. However, this week I tried to finally print something to have a 'painting' to show to reluctant family members who have said on more than one occasion, that it is not 'proper' art, as the computer does it for you! GRRR. However, I came to a big problem regarding pixels and jgep ptg etc. It seems that the images couldn't be blown up and I am still unsure of what to do net. So if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

You really need to preset your canvas size before you begin, because enlarging it (which can be done in Art Rage) will only exaggerate the fewer pixels in your image by reducing its clarity and making it look chunky with squares everywhere.

Attachment 74871

For a home print you can get away with 200dpi, but 300 is better. Professional artists can go much higher. So you determine the size of your printed work, let's say A4, then dpi at 300. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by copespeak; 04-08-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Well this can be confusing and a bit complex, there are a lot of possible variables and I fear there is no one right, fits all, answer!
    So consider this as just general guidance.
    Also pages 22 & 23 in the AR manual have very useful information on printing, regarding things to consider before starting a painting.

The important thing is the resolution of your painting i.e pixels/dots per inch. This will determine how well it prints.
    Try and get into the habit of setting up a new painting canvas each time you start a new project. Set it up using the Print Size tab, not Screen Size.
    AR's default is 72 pixels/dots per inch but for printing you will probably want something around 300. At higher resolutions + a large canvas you may find AR slows a little when using large brushes and when performing internal calculations depending on how fast your computer is.

With something you've already painted you are going to have to try and upscale it by resizing. But remember when you upscale a picture you are telling the program doing it to makeup and add new pixels. At best they will be an educated guess, so don't expect miracles!
    1:
    Re-size it in AR by going to; Edit > Re-size Painting…
    Once you have it re-sized you may well want/need to over paint/draw or replace if need be, any resulting fuzzy areas, edges and lines. This is a bit easier to do if you have used different layers for the different elements within the picture.
    2:
    If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or something similar, you can use that to re-size and upscale your painting, after you have exported it from AR in your chosen image format, e.g .jpg.
    In Photoshop (and possibly depending on version here) from the Menu Bar at the top, choose; Image > Resize > Image Resize. In the popup menu that opens check; Constrain Proportions, Re-sample Image and Scale Styles (you will need to select one to be used).

As with all things digital, work/experiment on a copy of your original file, just in case!

When you have something ready to print, ask the printer what file format they prefer to work with. But AR's .ptg format is not going to be one of them!

As to your family skeptics, get them to draw or paint something with AR. They will soon find out that it will only do what they tell it to do and nothing more. If they can't draw on paper, then they still wont be able to in AR!
    Hope this is of help.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Mini painting 5x5cm on forex (3mm)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	83332
    Name:  281637_2275846742628_625321_n.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:	286599_2297487203626_5839398_o.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	83336

Name:  40.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  190.1 KB

Name:	9356637303_5cb27e0e9e_o.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	435.7 KB 
ID:	83334
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Thumbs up

Name:  10403647_793407377387080_6971890344827763334_n.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  321.4 KB

50x50cm italian canvas
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com