Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

Print to canvas

Hi, everyone
    was looking at this thread on printing and was wondering if anyone has printed to canvas. If yes how did it turn out. I am using ArtRage Studio Pro on a MacBook Pro Love the program just would like to show my work at a professional level. If anyone could help that would be great.

I've had 3 Artrage painting printed professionally by canvas on demand. And they're incredibly wonderful. Pricey, but wait for a groupon. And all I've printed on paper or watercolor paper made for my Epson look smashing as well. I mat and frame them.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Susan,
    Did you have a canvas setting as you painted or did you keep it smooth and let the real canvas take care of that look?

I print very regularly a canvas on commission. Mostly for a surprise at a party.
    A retirement, a birthday, you name it.
    I often ask the clients to send me a picture of those people with their canvas, but only once got a picture back. I do get mails that praise and thank me for the work I do, but most forget on the evening itself, to shoot them. (shoot a picture, I mean !)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Just following up on Susan's note, printing your paintings out on canvas can make a wonderful difference. I've done several tests printing the same painting on canvas vs. other substrates, usually paper. In almost all cases canvas produces a superior "painterly" look.

Drawings often look better on paper, and some illustrations that are more of a "poster" orientation will look better on paper. And sometimes vinyls used for store displays and billboards produce cool looks. But for "paintings", canvas is really the way to go.

Giclee printing processes will almost always produce superior prints. However, I've gotten some great results going down to the corner copy shop and printing with large four or six color plotters at little expense. It depends a LOT on your subject matter how those may come out. I do a lot of abstract art which is, usually, more forgiving than a fine portrait where your color and other subtleties may have little room for variance from your ideal. So if you can, go Giclee on canvas, though as Susan points out, it ain't cheap.

A final note about canvas settings: Any affect of a canvas setting in your file image will show up in the printing. And of course, the canvas you use to print on will have visible affects in your final printed image. The room for experimentation and variance is large. So it's good to think about the paint program canvas settings and the printing canvas if you are being particular about the final product.

It's hard to make a recommendation and say do x with the digital canvas settings and y with the printing canvas without first knowing what kind of result you are looking for. What is important to know is that both make a difference, so factor both in your intentions for you final product. Frankly it is rather fun to experiment.

Hanzz: That is COOL.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-10-2011 at 05:28 AM.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Thanks for all the informative information. I learned a lot about printing today.

I will state totally 100% that I have little experience printing beyond my own canon mp620. It generally suits my needs well and I haven't dabbled with the settings to print out any of my AR paintings or tried professional prints yet. I am looking into it, though. I always want to research as much as I can before I venture into uncharted waters. I have a very blank wall in my living room that needs a good work of art on it.

If you're going to print with a printer and you're not sure how they do things, it may benefit to ask how they handle inks.

One thing I saw mentioned only briefly was the ink. From what I've read here and a few other places. Different places use different standards for the ink, some even do their own ink mixing and refills. Which can give way to human error in colors. Especially if you get someone who doesn't follow the recipe exactly or say different employees mix inks on different days. Sometimes even following the recipe can lead to odd results in mixing inks.

Some places will even go as far to refill a cartridge that is not completely empty, so if they changed up the recipe... there's even further error in the color.

So, the point is to be sure if you're not using some place that's really awesome fancy... try to ask about the way they use the inks. If printing at home, stick with one brand and get new ones if you can afford it. It's worth the effort.

Again, thanks for all the information. I was suprised at the results of my monitor, it turns out it's fairly decent.

I use not modern computer and, for today, absolutely weak videocard
    Intel Pentium4 800 MHz / 2.8 GHz and video GeForce4Ti 128MB
    Only 1GB RAM and Windows XP 32Bit.
    Nevertheless, usually, my drawings in ArtRage - width/height = 5000 x 6000 pix 300dpi. 2-10 layers and final_project_file.PTG >= 250 MB.

Then export to file TIFF. 5000x6000pix_300dpi_LZWcompressed. TIFF = ~ 90MB
    Which I have passed on e-mail in a workshop where print on a canvas on a stretcher. It is possible I use files-exchange service. For example rapidschare.com
    The picture is made on 12-colourful printer CANON imagePROGRAF - 2400x1200 points/on inch - pigmentary ink.

Next day I take away my final picture - 40 x 50 cm. canvas on a wooden frame. I have drawn an arch specially that it replaces a baguette. So it has been planned.

After one day when the print dries up well, I put a layer of structural gel from above pictures - Universal Acrylic gel - Art Gel 3D Nerchau 100ml Crystal.
    Gel does illusion of convex strokes of a paint, protects drawing from a sunlight and does a glossy surface.

PS - I am very happy with results. AfghanHound's owner has received this gift and as remains joyful.

(sorry web translation)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

anyone use a digital pad and pen when woking with ArtRage

Ella Platon, PORTRAIT.
    Commission from Romania.
    I hope you like it!

30x40cm on real canvas.

Name:  ellaplaton.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  266.9 KB

Last edited by misterpaint; 05-26-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

//
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com