Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

Ok, check out size reduction of files when saved as jpeg. Even on zero compression. It's quite a huge reduction. There's nothing to be gained in sending in files larger than the required physical size at 300dpi, so there was some reduction there in this case if I recall correctly.

Generally I paint "a la prima" digitally, so I don't use layers for any length of time. That really helps keep file sizes manageable. Not much help if you want to use several though I realise!

Regretfully I can't really help much to figure out how to do big files on a particular spec machine, or even a PC. I've invested in the best Macs I can afford for ten years or so, as a necessity for my job, so I'm a bit limited in my experience there! Keeping layers to a minimum I have already mentioned, but yup, each individual machine will give up at a certain point, so you have to work within sensible limits that are right for your hardware.

I print all kinds of images, and am extremely happy with the colour repro. So it's not to do with colours, or lack there of, in a given file. I'll pull out some more brightly coloured ones tomorrow to show.

Delivery from Posterxxl is a very good question. At checkout they say prints are despatched within... Now I can't remember off the top of my head how soon, but that is slightly misleading, since it usually takes ten working days or so. Which is fine once you know and can plan accordingly.

Something that works undeniably in my favour, but sounds a bit pompous, is years of experience working in digital paint for print reproduction. That's something that is hard to impart in a few sentences, but generally you can't just paint anything and expect it to print well. Screens of course make colours very differently to inks, and working within the printable range of colour and tone is something that takes practice. And that final stage of adjustment in PS. Really saturated colour will usually fall out of "gamut": strong screen reds, cyans and greens can all pose problems for reproduction in ink. Making things a little lighter, a little less saturated, boosting tonal contrasts where necessary... All that stuff really helps get a good result.

Of course you also need to know your monitor is well calibrated too, and I've already typed too much on this tiny iPod keyboard!

Again, I hope there's some useful info in there somewhere! Adjusting digital images for faithful reproduction is a major skill set in itself.

thx Jon!! great info!
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Delivery from Posterxxl is a very good question. At checkout they say prints are despatched within... Now I can't remember off the top of my head how soon, but that is slightly misleading, since it usually takes ten working days or so. Which is fine once you know and can plan accordingly.

Something that works undeniably in my favour, but sounds a bit pompous, is years of experience working in digital paint for print reproduction. That's something that is hard to impart in a few sentences, but generally you can't just paint anything and expect it to print well. Screens of course make colours very differently to inks, and working within the printable range of colour and tone is something that takes practice. And that final stage of adjustment in PS. Really saturated colour will usually fall out of "gamut": strong screen reds, cyans and greens can all pose problems for reproduction in ink. Making things a little lighter, a little less saturated, boosting tonal contrasts where necessary... All that stuff really helps get a good result.

Of course you also need to know your monitor is well calibrated too, and I've already typed too much on this tiny iPod keyboard!

Again, I hope there's some useful info in there somewhere! Adjusting digital images for faithful reproduction is a major skill set in itself.
    Thank you Jon, yes is good to know what to expect as delivery time
    and then we are not astonished ,
    no doubt the most important is the quality of the print and also if is not too expensive .

I like to work with contrast but I am sure it will be alright about that and I have some documentation about calibration and all that have to be done
    before printing,
    I think that the enormous amount of images created, printed, painted
    give me some idea about being very prudent on multiplicity but still,
    at a certain point, I have to do as any other do, no more no less .
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

Thank you everyone for all the info that has been shared in this thread. It has been extremely helpful.

This is the final printing of my Christmas card for 2010. I had them printed through Costco and they turned out pretty good. I had a test photo printed first (glad I did) and it was a lot darker than the image on my screen (the original png file). I had to lighten the image in Photoshop to get the desired look on the final printing. All in all I am satisfied with it and thought I would share it in this thread.

Thanks for checking it out. Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday's!

Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chritmas Cards1.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	51197  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Eddie, they are BEAUTIFUL.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

yes Eddie those turned out beautiful. hats off to Costco and your adjustments in photoshop.

Hi All, some awesome paintings in this thread

Just thought I would drop a couple in here, printed on my Canon Pixma 6600, I bought a pkg. of Hahnemuhle Digital Fine Art Collection papers, it had an assortment of different surfaces, The OES was painted with Painter and printed on the Fine Art Canvas paper and the xmas one (just a cut out of my buddy with a christmas hat painted on ) was done on some prefolded cards that I bought. I have also printed things out on watercolour paper and they turned out fine
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by justjean; 12-18-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Byron and Albert, thanks a bunch! Much appreciated. Justjean, those paintings turned out fantastic!
    Eckhart Tolle

Xmas

Hi Eddie,

It is the time of year, again, when you should be awarded "A Major Prize!"
    Clear a space in the window for it.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Phil
    Last edited by Aged P; 12-24-2010 at 03:09 AM.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Thanks Phil! Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

P.S. My oldest son is actually getting a BB gun this year (not a Red Ryder though...hahaha)
    Eckhart Tolle