Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

Excellent painting and the prints look like they turned out very nice. It is always difficult to know 100% from photos of them but they look nice. Good to know also that they turned out even with the dpi at 100. Thanks for sharing them and I'm glad you found this thread!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

My printshop prints them at a minimum of 600dpi, so with this at 100dpi its probably similar to an HD tv smoothing out a standard definition channel. At least that thats the way I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakenedart View Post
    My printshop prints them at a minimum of 600dpi, so with this at 100dpi its probably similar to an HD tv smoothing out a standard definition channel. At least that thats the way I think about it.
    Terrific prints. To your 100/600 dpi point, in a way it's a fair analogy "in fact". The difference,however, would be one of both intent and the viewing environment. There can be intentionality in the 100 dpi print, or, it may be all that's needed depending on the piece of art itself, the distance from which it will be viewed, etc.

In some cases, 600dpi may smooth out an image in undesirable ways depending a host of factors in the painting itself, the printing substrate, the viewing distance, etc. These are factors that complicate the options available to the artist and the choices she might make.

While the HD analogy is an accurate one, unlike when watching a movie where HD is most of the time going to be the more desirable choice, it may not be the case in when printing a painting. While there are generalities that suggest in most cases 150 to 300 dpi is a good bet, at the end of the day, it's case specific.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-05-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spellign
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Smile

Heh heh here's a quick webcam snap of me with one of a limited edition I did of ten big prints of "mountain boy" (A painting I posted here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...7&postcount=47). I've used this painting in particular to dispel the myth that ArtRage can't make big images for commercial print:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JonHodgson View Post
    I've used this painting in particular to dispel the myth that ArtRage can't make big images for commercial print:
    ...heh. Sometime I must photograph the a2 posters I made

Quote Originally Posted by JonHodgson View Post
    Heh heh here's a quick webcam snap of me with one of a limited edition I did of ten big prints of "mountain boy" (A painting I posted here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...7&postcount=47). I've used this painting in particular to dispel the myth that ArtRage can't make big images for commercial print:
    Wonderful Jon. Terrific painting and a good one to demonstrate your point.

Perhaps to help everyone out you could describe a little how you got your result. Something along the lines of:
    1. print size setting and dpi while painting it in ArtRage
    2. stats on the exported file used for printing (its file type and properties)
    3. any adjustments to the file either you or your printer made to prepare it for final print production and its final file properties.
    4. Your final print specs and print methods including method (for example, 6 color-inkjet on a plotter, or giclee, or other), print dpi, and printing substrate.

However little or a lot you had to do, I think people would be appreciative to know your particular solution. It appears wonderfully successful.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-05-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spellign

"Perhaps to help everyone out you could describe a little how you got your result."

I second this.

No problem. So, when I mention I talk about this image to people who doubt that you can work big in ArtRage, I'm referring really to the size of the digital image rather than the print. I've spoken to a few commercial illustrators who have heard you can't work at print res in AR and maintain a practical workflow. Completely untrue.

This one is 9000 pixels wide - which means I can print from it at 300dpi and get a 30 inch (762mm) wide image. Even at 200 you'll still get a pretty good quality print, which could therefore be upto 60 inches wide. Not sure where I'd hang one of those though.

I work as an illustrator, so I'm set up with a pretty powerful computer - though these days pretty much anything you spend a bit of money on will have sufficient specs. I'm using an imac with a dual 3.06 GHz processor, and 4 Gig of RAM. Really, (and as a generalisation) it's the RAM that lets you handle large files.

I exported the image as a PSD, which I do all the time, once I'm absolutely certain I'm done in Artrage. Of course, once you "Export" you lose any Artrage specific functions like paper grain and reworkable, "interactive" paint and so on. You just have a regular graphics file the same as any other. I find PSD to be a very stable format suited to what I do.

I do use Photoshop to adjust my tonal levels, and I will confess up front I have not investigated what AR can offer on this front - Photoshop is my weapon of choice for that, and hard to beat as a wildly expensive, state of the art image editing tool. To allow it's impasto to work Artrage seems to lose a little in the darker tonal areas, so I beef those up in PS.

The printers I use generally print things a little darker than I would here at home, so I adjust my tonals levels accordingly in photoshop, just lightening up the mid tones using the layers pane in most cases.

For my printer I then save the image as a zero compression jpeg. The larger the better - so in this case I didn't reduce the file at all.

The substrate for this one is nice heavy 240gsm HP paper, and it's printed by Poster XXL in Germany: http://www.posterxxl.co.uk/ I've found them to provide an excellent service, and to be honest I get them to print pretty much everything I do to sell - they have a better selection of papers and sizes than I can keep here in the studio at home, and though I only go to a couple of trade fairs a year to sell prints I was finding the time it took to make up a decent selection of prints, combined with the cost of ink these days made getting someone else to do it, and paying them, was highly competitive.

Hope that helps!

Jon, thanks, much appreciated. I'm surprised you are able to work fluidly in AR with such a large file. With my 3gb of ram and dual core processor (and my experience seems to be not unusual) a 9000 pixel wide file pretty much shuts AR down after throwing in a few layers. Throw in something like the paint brush and AR is is dead in the water for me.

If you have a secret for getting a computer at 3gb to dance well with AR you will make lots of people rather happy. Thousands of users have computers with 32 bit Windows OS whether XP, Vista or 7. If I understand correctly, 3gb is the max working RAM in that configuration (yes? no? Maybe?).

Any enlightenment here, including your 4gb experience with the super-duper handling capabilities may give a lot of people some additional direction toward working with AR more robustly.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-05-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spellign

Jon thank you to share your experience, I didn't find yet the printing system for me and i will perhaps give a try to this one.

Your image is excellent as I see it in the file, perhaps you don't have many problems with the file manipulation because you don't have many colors in it.
    Do you send your images on CD or directly upload them,
    I saw there are a limit of 20Mb and you speak about huge file if I understand well ?

Also, how about the shipping service , is it prompt,
    how long it takes from the upload to the receiving the print ?

Thanks again !
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art