ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Up rezing art rage images

Gallery
    View images

Up rezing art rage images

Hi all, first post - although I have been using the program for quite some time. I find when working above say 4,000 x 4,000 pixels, the program becomes quite slow and balky.

How good do the images uprez to significantly higher sizes. Say 40'x30" at 240ppi?

I am trying to find the optimum way to create large images that dont suffer and loss of visual quality. These images are typically printed on a chromira or similar led printer.

Thank you

George

Gallery
    View images
    ive been wondering the same thing. 20'x30' 250-300dpi is around the point where mine becomes a lil slow. It still workable at the size but kinda of slow and turning on/off layer takes awhile, its the same with trying to load and save. Loading takes about 5mins to load fully painted files. So any info on this would be great.
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Gallery
    View images
    You may not need that high resolution.
    300 dpi is generally for things that are looked at around 12 - 18 inches away - printed A4 documents.
    If you're printing out something 20 x 30 inches or more you're probably not intending general viewing closer than a few feet away. In which case you can safely drop to 150 dpi - the viewer isn't going to be able to discern any difference.

Yes, ArtRage does slow down at high resolutions. We're storing and manipulating *much* more data than other digital image applications. As well as colour information we also store paint depth, wetness, shininess, reflectivity.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I forgot to mention that we also apply a 3D lighting model to the paint information whenever it changes. Switching on and off layers means the whole painting has to be re-rendered to show the results.
    You can speed up some things by turning off the lighting, with <F5>
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images

A couple ideas to increase speed

Start out working at 72dpi then gradually bump up to 250 or 300. Keep versions saved but merge layers as you go and finalize the image more and more. This seems to work well for me in Photoshop and Painter. I do detail work last and try to keep my layers at a minimum.

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm new to ArtRage and really love it. The problem I'm having is now that I upgraded my monitor to a 23" widescreen, my tablet doesn't seem to sync up in the correct spot when i start illustrating! I draw in the middle of the canvas yet my pencil marks go far left. Ive checked my drivers etc via Wacom.com Help or ideas would be awesome.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiBite View Post

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm new to ArtRage and really love it. The problem I'm having is now that I upgraded my monitor to a 23" widescreen, my tablet doesn't seem to sync up in the correct spot when i start illustrating! I draw in the middle of the canvas yet my pencil marks go far left. Ive checked my drivers etc via Wacom.com Help or ideas would be awesome.
    HAve a look in the advanced settings of the pentablet properties, and see if you can find the mapping screen to active area section.
    If that's not your problem, it may simply be that the monitor is a different shape and you'll have to recoordinate (I get this when I switch between the CRT and the LCD - also between my old and new tablet which are different sizes)

otherwise...? *shrugs*