Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait

Gallery
    View images

Portrait

Before all the experienced artists crawl on me for amateur line control, understand I used a mouse. Other than that, I'm a stable individual looking for advice. Feel free to be as brutal in your honesty as you like. I don't have a tablet or the full version of artrage yet, but its only a matter of a very short period of time. It might be a few months before I pick up a tablet though.

Things I'm specifically annoyed with are the eyes nose and mouth. The eyes are the big one though. The facial colors are a little weird, but when I went back and tried to work on them, it was pretty much a catastrophe, so I stopped. The left eyebrow seems crooked as well, but I can't figure out how to get it right. Anything else anyone notices would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	31398  

Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    I think that doing a life-like portrait with a mouse is probably next to impossible. That having been said, you have a lot of good things going on here.
    The shading is going in the right direction and only needs a little blending. Try experimenting with low pressure settings with the knife and using small circular motions. An unloaded brush can also work for blending.
    The hair is also very promising; perhaps some pencil or chalk strokes will give it a little more volume. Remember that less can often times be more.
    Also, if you haven't already, read up on Undo and Redo in the Help section.
    Welcome to here Gray and have fun with the program and this very friendly forum.

Gallery
    View images
    I have a very nice mouse, but I have used tablets before, and there is no comparison, even between a low end tablet and my high end mouse.

The blending with the knife was either too much or too little depending on various factors. The unloaded brush was brilliant though.

I simplified the hair a little and added some knife work to suggest individual hairs, but I may have gone overboard with the simplification process.

unlimited undo and redo may be the single best feature about this program, and that is saying something, as I'm very impressed with the tools, layout, sensitivity and a dozen other things. I'm pretty sure every tool in here is head and shoulders above anything photoshop 5 has to offer painting wise.

I was considering getting an old version of corel, but once I discovered this forum I decided against it. The people here are pretty amazing.

Thanks so much for your help!

Name:	summer5.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	31402  

Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Ah. Now that's head and shoulders (no pun intended) above the original. Now you need to bring a little life into the eyes with some "glint". The mouth, by the way, is exquisite.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 08-03-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    I think you have done an excellent job so far, especially considering the mouse factor, and buying mine only a short time ago there is absolutely no comparison lol, to the point where i got so frustrated i wouldn't even paint without a tablet now

I think your trying to achieve too much with lines, try to use shading to define areas such as around the mouth and eyes, use a darker colour not necessarily too dark but dark enough to give shadow, this will help your painting tremendously i believe.

Good job, and the blending has helped heaps, oh and welcome the Rager Family, i hope you enjoy your stay, we ARE a family here
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Well, if this doesn't scream ocd fiddler, I don't know what will.

The eyes: I'm not sure I have the technical skill to actually pull this stunt off. I put glint in as suggested, but I'm not sure I can really improve the eyes much. Eyes for me are the hardest thing to depict. I can get almost anything else roughly into the shape I'm looking for, but eyes throw me for a loop. Not having a tablet for them probably isn't helping either. Curvy lines are hard with a mouse.

@Silentman: your analysis on my abundant use of lines is probably correct. Most of my art is done in class with pen on paper while I'm busy ignoring what my multivariable calculus professor is rambling on about, so I think artistically in lines. Also, I sketched this with pen on paper before scanning it and then working on the painting from there. That said, I fiddled with the shading around the mouth and eyes a little. Is this what you were suggesting? It feels like family already. I have to ask about your signature, (since I'm in the market for a tablet, and was considering the bamboo) what makes the fun so much superior?

@RobertSWade: Thanks for your over generous comment about the mouth, I appreciate your warmth and help here tons! Also, I heard that a study was done on puns once. A collection of ten puns was compiled and studied for humor. A rating system was set up to count the number of laughs these puns earned, but no pun in ten did. It doesn't stop me though. Sorry you have to shoulder these puns, my brother's are much better, he's way ahead of me. =D

Name:	summer6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	31422  

Gallery
    View images
    No pun in ten did ... hadn't heard that before. Made me chuckle and I'm still smiling.

Gallery
    View images
    Gray,

I think the on of the objects of portraiture is to reach a likeness. The other of course, as an artist, is to reach an interesting piece of artwork.

In these cases, I think you have achieved your goal. We do not know, because you have not posted who you are doing a portrait of, but to me, this work feels as if you have a likeness. Do you?

I like the portraits of Julian Schnabel and Francesco Clemente, for instance. Look at their portraits. Are the eyes drawn "correctly"? Well, they look like eyes to me. And they look like people to me. They also look like certain people. Are they good pieces of artwork? I think so.

You want to go after the whole. A portrait without art is not art, and art which does not resemble the person it is supposed to, is...well, not a portrait of the person, is it? (Unless of course, it is a psychological portrait, which you name, as an emotional portrait or something like that, but here we are getting away from your subject and into esoteric argument, I think.)

As far as your work goes, I think it is a portrait and feel it resembles whomever you set out to bring to life in this painting. All artists develop in their own way, their own style. Use this as your jumping off point, your starting point, and see where you lead yourself.

If you would prefer a more anatomic reference to the person you are painting, let me suggest that you find a painter who works in that kind of style which you admire and would like for yourself, and spend some time copying that artist's work as closely as you can. There are built in art lessons right there in that exercise. You will learn.

Gallery
    View images
    Hello and welcome Gray

Since you mentioned that you were having trouble with the eyes specifically, I'll focus on those. It's good that you added highlights to the eyes, they help to dispel the sense of flatness that comes from painting on a 2d surface you might also want to use some light greys for shading in the eye to make it look rounder. It might seem counter-intuitive to add grey to the white of an eye, but I think you will find that it helps a great deal when all is said and done. Reserve the whitest white for highlights like what you have in the iris / pupil already. everything else should be a little darker, and should gradually darken as you move towards the edges. It's tough to explain. I might try posting an example for you later. Basically, add value almost like you would if you were painting a white ball, but remember to reserve the whitest whites for the highlights.

Hope that helps! Honestly, I'm stunned by what you have been able to do without a tablet xD
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau

Gallery
    View images
    This painting reminds me of the ones we studied in school many years ago. I like it.