Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smooth shading Tech.

Gallery
    View images

Exclamation smooth shading Tech.

alright! here is just a very brief demo of how i get smooth shading in AR.
    -Gzairborne -was asking about it and my tools and setting.

so the tool i use is the -Crayon- and the setting i got from a person on this forum. Im sorry i cant remember there name so if any one knows who it was PLZ give them credit!!

*Crayon- Pressure 30-35%
    - Softness 50%

ok mainly to get the smooth look all you do is add a Hard line then lightly drag out some of the color from that line and then beside what youve brought out you make another hard line of whatever color and then do the same smokey pull back into the first color. Mainly the technique is just small circles going in and out of the 1st color and the 2nd color to blend them together. here is a crappy lil sketch i made to try and show you guys. (sorry) lol Mainly the idea so get it like smoke,then to fill with mass. Im not good at this so i hope it helps. Also you dont have to change color so blend what youve already done just lightly press and go over all of it to refine it and ITs ALL ABOUT THE CIRCLES. Like how tattoo artist shade. This technique will work with pretty much all mediums. I actually started doing this technique with my pencil work.

-feel free to ask anything you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Gallery
    View images
    wow thanks. Wholly smokes... this is really going to change the dynamics of the crayons only thread. Great technique. It almost acts just like an oil pastel... cool. Thanks very much for sharing this technique! It will be very helpful to many of us.

Gallery
    View images
    This is a pretty neat technique of blending. Which blending tool are you using: soft, flat, or edge - when you are making the tight circles and what percentage of pressure do you recommend when blending?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by een724 View Post
    This is a pretty neat technique of blending. Which blending tool are you using: soft, flat, or edge - when you are making the tight circles and what percentage of pressure do you recommend when blending?

If he's doing what I think he is, he's not using the palette knife. You need to set the canvas you are working on to the "Cell" preset so that the crayon will appear completely smooth (so the grain doesn't break the marks). Then it's just a matter of lightly swirling the cursor over the two colors so that they smear together. There have been a few posts by members mentioning this very useful trick.

I use various settings for the crayon a lot in this video: Sad Kitty
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    yea its like he said. no knife just different degrees of pressure to smooth it out and the cell canvas. also the whole technique is circler other then the hard edge.

ps- just think about having 2 lines of color with a small space between them. and in a large circle go in to one and out of the other and as the space fills with more color start to tighten the circles. So at this point the small circles are making it where the lines of the large circle are going to start going away. then just try to refine everything with a super light touch. Also the whole thing is done with a pretty light touch. let me know and ill try to do another sketch if need be.
    Last edited by chambersecrets; 07-27-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Someonesane also. I had forgotten about this video too. You used oil first and then used crayon and palette knife for smoothing. Also very informative and helpful. Now if I can remember it. Thanks to both of you for these helps.

Gallery
    View images
    I made another video specifically to demonstrate the technique chambersecrets is referring to (posted with his permission). Just follow along with what I click on and the comments that appear and you should be all set.

Here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqYkxvomVE
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images

dark to light shading

alright most of you guys probably already know this technique but for those who dont.....also this is done very roughly but you can see where you can take it with a lil time.

*1- Number 1 is with the crayon tool with cell paper. setting: Pressure 35%, Softness 80%. Also its the same with the air brush. cant remember setting for it. ok so this is very simple but you have to have a tablet for this to work. Start with full pressure moving up and down and as you move out you lighten the pressure as you go until you get to the lightest shade you desire. thats it! lol\. with the leaf i did the light to dark shading on the edges and center then went in with a light color and fill in the space around the shading. after that with the air brush and a texture stencil i went in and did the center lines. With the apple or whatever it is (lol) i did the light to dark shading coming from each side where the middle could be left for the highlight or from the center you could work out another color. you get the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crayonfade.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	31136  

Last edited by chambersecrets; 07-28-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    ok number 2 is done with the oils. all you do is make the paint thick, pick your color, and then put the colors in strips or anyway you choose. After that take your flat palette knife or which ever knife you desire and go to work. its very simple and im sure most people know about this but if you dont....hear it is!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oilknifesmear.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	31140  

Gallery
    View images

Exclamation Technique List

ps- i was thinking that maybe this would be a good spot for anyone that had a technique to go a head and show us here. this way we can get a good list of techniques for everyone to use. So plz show us what you got.
    Someonesane has started posting so plz join in. Also list what the technique is called in the title spot plz.

-thanks