Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Try this link, Google buys alot of books and places them free on there wesite, you just search what you want and bam.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?oe=u...G=Search+Books

Dear Silentman, sort of hate to say am enjoying your daily sketches as you are not so well but really do like to read your thoughts you are having on your journey right now,,, your sketches are getting better, seems you are taking the time to analize your subjects, you cracked me up a little when you said 'kids were throwing rocks' at that poor bird,,, anyway,,, i think your landscape is actually your best!!! can see exactly what it is without explanation, when your medical troubles lighten and you get busy again you may not have the time to sketch , so keep it up and be well!!!

Hey Silentman, those sketches look awesome! That's too bad about those kids and your experience while sketching the pelican. I see what you mean about the lights above the reception area in the Dr's office. I did a Very quick sketch to show how you could use a graph to get some perspective on things like that. After a while, you won't need the graphs, your brain will start to mentally figure out those angles (enough at least they will give the effect of perspective). I created my angles for the lights off angles you already had in your sketch (the posts on the reception area). Far from perfect but I just wanted you to get the idea. Another thing that has helped me sketching things like this is to NOT try to draw the item (the light), instead focus on the shape of what you see...Don't think of it as a light...just a shape. Otherwise your brain will try to draw a light like it thinks of a light. Hope that makes sense and helps a little. This is a great thread...Thanks for sharing your progress with us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	31684  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Your most welcome mate!
    Just hope I'm of some help.
    Glad your posted your sketches,your really making the effort which is always the first step.No just remember not to be too hard on yourself and every sketch/ drawing,is a step forward.
    Also wish you all the best with your medical dramas.
    O.k from reading your posts it does seem to me you enjoy a challenge.So I have one for you,you might like to try.It's an old drawing exercise,not sure if you have tried it or not?

In brief choose a object in your house(start simple) for e.g a Pepper grinder/shaker,Kettle etc.Now try to draw the outline of the object without looking at your drawingThat's right keep your eyes on the object.This can help with your hand eye cordination and getting better line work.Remember this is a line drawing,not worried about shading/tonal values just the outline.Sound easy
    Give it a go

All the best,
    Scott.

Ahh thanks guys for all your input.

Sketch that's a great example thanks for showing it to me, i'll definitely incorporate it into my sketching.

Scott your right i love a challenge lol, and i sure will give it a go, i sort of do that a little bit with my sketching, i stay looking at an angle and continue drawing and look down after it to see if i got it right lol, funny as it sounds but i used to do this in class at school with writing lol, don't know why i just did, i'd practice writing whole words without looking hehehe

Turtleman thanks for the heads up i'll check it out

Today i'll be going digital with ArtRage, and i'll post my sketches over the next couple of days
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

WoW just found something really exciting, i was messing around with the Bamboo Fun Tablet settings and found that the "Tip Feel" setting makes a huge impact on the settings in ArtRage for the pencil tool. I've set the "Tip Feel" to 5 notches - 2/3rds of the way to firm, and in ArtRage i have set 100% pressure and 14% softness which is giving me a grey line unless i push relatively hard on the styless, relative to a real pencil and pushing hard with it to firm up some details, the pencil size is 20 which is similar to a normal HB pencil

This is awesome, it was just the feeling i was looking for, a real pencil feeling, push hard and you get a darker line, sketch softly to put in some initial shapes and you get a grey line, excellent

Now all i need is to able to set my eraser up so it's a bit closer lol
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Ahhh awesome yes that's how my tablet works,glad you got better settings now

Thanks Scott it's a big breakthrough lol, i'm really excited hehee

Ok, thanks to Sketch for doing up that diagram, i have gone ahead and made up a stencil, for all to use, it shows both the Horizon EyeLine and the Vertical Eyeline + i added the Rule of Thirds too as i thought that would be handy.

Hope you find some use for it in your upcoming Artworks. As a stencil you can fill in or leave what ever lines you like, you can even just make some marks to help guide your Drawings and Paintings to be correctly aligned and in the right position on the canvas

See attachments for download, the stencil is the red one, the other shows the outcome lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewStencilSnip.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	31740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROT_VertEyeline&HorizEyeline.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	31741  
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Cool graph Silentman! Looks like it will come in handy. A graphing tool is a good idea for future AR tools! One that could be skewed for different perspective drawings.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Hi Silentman,
    I see that you have a strong will to sketching (I saw a portrait ) so I have sent this link, I am sure that will interest you
    http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/index.html