Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Yeah i hear what your saying, so far i've found ArtRage to be annoying to sketch with "Sorry Ragers" but i want a Digital Pencil that sketches like a HB or even a 2H not a 2B or 4B it seems that when i'm sketching the lose rough, sketching lines in roughly i mean, the line gets darker and darker, that's not what i need, i need it to stay the same colour, something that can be accomplished in both Photoshop and Painter Essentials, the other thing is the keyboard shortcuts are frustrating for me, i rapidly shift between eraser and pencil, and the shortcut for the pencil is No.2 but the eraser is the = symbol which is more than a hand width's span away, for normal hands anyway, it would be much better if we can assign our own shortcuts i think.

Anyways i've asked others for what they do and haven't received many replies here, but i have received some suggestion via PM, i'll go check them out before i give up
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

The softness control is supposed to change the pencils. You might also try using a light grey color so it will not be too dark. I used the grey color with the windmill and reduced the width to about 1 or2. somewhere around there. It gave me a light line. The only problem I had was remembering which layer I put it on.
    Have fun.
    Ken.

I have to say I was frustrated for ages comming from pencils to digital,took me a while to get use to it.I have tried PS,Painter(which I can't afford) But none really give a pencil feel,I think as your sketching improves so to will your digital drawing,it just takes time.So don't be so hard on yourself mate
    Digital has so many workarounds.
    I have mostly changed my methods to suit digital rather than get digital to copy traditional media.I think that was my first hurdle!lol

Hey Silentman! Nice to see your sketches... They are looking great! To answer your request about angles... They can be tricky especially when you first start drawing. All sketches;drawings/paintings should have a horizon line. Once determining the perspective and placement of the horizon line, you choose the vanishing point somewhere on it. The vanishing point is the point of origination to all the angles in your sketch. Everything stems out from or dissapears back into that point of your drawing. Practice with easy shapes at first and work into more technical shapes and figures. Sometimes, depending on the perspective of the sketch, the vanishing point is off the page of the sketch. Use the ruler tool provided in AR if this is the case and determine your vanishing point with two rulers place at the correct angle off the paper. Hope that helps a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Scott and Sketch

Sketch, i know exactly what your saying but haven't been treating it as something that is essential, i've read and re read the section in my book about perspective, to try and grasp it, maybe it's because he only talks about it with regards to buildings that i've failed to use it for ALL drawings Hmmm

The real problem i'm having at the moment is with objects that come straight towards me, i was sitting in the doctors waiting room (will post the sketch today) and i was doing fine until i tried to sketch the lights, both round skylight and flouro, they were hard angles for me to put into perspective, my sketch that i'll post later today will demonstrate this, perhaps because i didn't sketch in the cornice on the walls edge behind them they just look like there sitting no where, they could be floating in mid air lol hehehe.

Thanks heaps for the diagram, it has helped me to refine a topic that i'm trying very hard to grasp at the moment in my sketching
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

G'day Col,
    Sketch gives some great tips for you.If your working in AR,add a layer and put some pespective guides in and then rework your drawing.You might find it helpful to import a photo and work out the perspective to train your eye.Also I put this together for your question on my pencil settings I use in AR.Hope this is some help as well.Not sure on your tablet but pressure and size of pencil is key to light sketching ,you could even use blue for your rough sketch layer then do your linework on a layer on top.
    Now get sketching!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon_AR_media.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	31649  

Oh thanks Heaps Scott, i look right into that tonight, thanks for going to the trouble to put that together for me mate

PS: one of the troubles i have is i always try and bight off to much before i can chew lol, i try really hard to pick easy simple shapes but they bore the heck out of me, so i ended trying to sketch landscapes lol, oh and a self portrait this afternoon hehe (it sorta looks ok lol, Sorta hehehe) yeah i'll post it and the others before today's out, gotta rewards ya's for all ya efforts
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Ok some sketches, these are all real media sketching on A4 Cartridge and my new little Mont Marte sketch book A5 150gsm is great, i really am liking sketching a lot, i never new i could sketch at all until lately, i'm not great at it yet but i am starting to get a feel for it

Ok last Wednesday sketches, were roughly 25 mins each, the doctors surgery was a little longer. I went to the local headland with the intention to relax before my doctors appointment, we were going to have it out (so to speak) with regards to the strong pain killers i'm on for my chronic back pain, so i was looking for some peace and harmony before the war :P

This is what i came up with: The 1st Sketch was the Landscape at the bottom of the post, i don't really like it much, but it's important to show progress, the 2nd sketch is the one at the top of the post, i'm very happy with the results, these 2 sketches are my very 1st landscapes that i have ever sketched in my entire life, moving right along, the car i had been working on for a bout 5 mins and a bloody 4WD parked in front of it, geez wiz man, sketching on the run in public can be a hassle sometimes but rewarding all the same

Name:	Sketch02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	31658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch03.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	432.5 KB 
ID:	31659  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Ok the doctors Surgery same day, the counter was about 40 mins, i gave up the battle once i couldn't seem to place the angle on the fluro and the skylight properly, i find it's better to move than to completely loose patience and maybe give up all together

The flower pot was only 5 mins, i was just trying to work on perspective, not so much details, trying desperately to get those thing that point straight at you correctly placed lol.

In hindsight Sketch, if i had of used the perspective guide in the counter sketch, i could have possibly gotten the angles correct

Anyways, that Wednesday out of the way

Name:	SurgerySketch01.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	433.1 KB 
ID:	31660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surgery-Sketch02.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	31661  
    Last edited by Silentman; 08-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Today's Sketches, i didn't upload the Bridge sketch, it's just to depressing, the utter disappointment of being stopped by a freak sitting so rudely in front of me to stop me from drawing is beyond my comprehension, it's plain inhuman animalistic behavior that i hope i never come across again

But here's the pretty Pelican the stupid kids were throwing rocks at i did a reasonable job for a 5 min hurried sketch, i feel

And finally my 1st self portrait, i seem to have the most trouble with the nose, the whole sketch is loose so to speak, i mean it's no terribly in perspective but it's not too bad i feel for my 1st, i'm happy with it

Finally i want to thank all of you that are joining me on my journey to becoming a competent artist with sketching, i am going to embark on some digital sketches over the next week or two, i hope you'll join me for those as well, the 1st one will be based on a sketch from the book i've been studying, after attempting a couple of sketches Digitally now, i feel i really need to follow a sketch that has already been completed, this saves me from worrying about the tones or creating the line work fresh, i will be simply putting the lines where he has, in order to get the feel for sketching

Name:	Pelican-Sketch.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	31662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Self-Portrait.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	31663  
    Last edited by Silentman; 08-09-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22