Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Good start. Keep it going with one and save the other two for later. Figure out if you want it to be pencil, pastel, oil or what and go from there.
    You are out of the starting blocks now so hang in there and enjoy the trip.

Thanks Ray my intension so far are too keep on Sketching, until i am refined, i may develop some into to paintings though. I will sketch the same branch tonight with ArtRage, i have the photo's i offered everyone in the Art Supplies section here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=21168

Thanks for your comments
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

What does everyone else do to get angles correct in freehand sketching. I have the most trouble with angles that are coming towards me, but generally speaking i'm having trouble with all angles, just getting them to fall in the correct direction is frustrating me, having to start drawings over and over again...

Any tips would be great, aside form the obvious, Practice PRACtice PRAAACCCTICE lol
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Practice PRACtice PRAAACCCTICE!

Your sketches are wonderful.
    I'm no good with angles in freehand sketching, don't ask me to help! *backs away*

But, I have the same problem too, with angles. It's really frustrating.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

Thanks Weeun.

Anyone care to share some expertise on the matter of getting angles correct, Hmmmm ?
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Weeun had is right . Practice.
    I found a book awihile back. Astually it was a small booklet. Very inexpensive on perspective.
    There was a free drawing lesson on perspective on the Internet. Google drawing perspective and it may come up.
    Basically, you visualize a point in the background where things would meet if they kept moving away and place a point there.(It may be off the canvass.) Then draw your lines toward that point.
    Think of a road. as it gets farther away, it appears narrower until it is a dot on the horizon. Same principle.
    Hope this helps.

Yup thanks Ray, i have a book lol, i have talked about it quite a bit, it talks a lot about perspective lol, i know your trying to be helpful, but what i'm really after is...

What tricks and techniques do other artists use to help them draw angled lines? to get the spaces and distances correct, i am practicing working with perspective and am going to move onto to buildings, houses and such to help me harness the concept of perspective, but perspective doesn't work so well with flowers lol and "itty bitty" details and blasted "ANGLES" hehe, there i feel better now lol

So if you have any advice from experience of how you managed to harness angles other than practice (which i am already doing, i have that one down pat thankyou), think back to your early days, when was your Uh Huh moment when you discovered a sure fire way to get those angles correct, that it is what i'm looking for.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Firstly want to commend you on starting your own Sketch thread ,a very good idea
    Your first sketches look good.
    You might also want to try some drawing exercises as well,might be some in your drawing books?(Doodling is often overlooked)
    By Drawing angles do you mean foreshortning or actual angled lines?
    Yep nothing beats practice or doing,but there other factors as well to improve your ability.
    Keep up the good work mate!

Scott.

Thanks Scott, if you take the Birds of Paradise sketch for an example, the prongs head off at different anlges, getting those angles and lengths is tricky

I finished reading the book last night but am going to go back through the perspective part again. One thing i have noticed in all the sketches he's done all the way through, is he redrew lines that weren't at the correct angles, so i guess it is practice and practice only that hones in your ability to get the angles correct in a more timely and accurate fashion lol but even the masters get the angles incorrect and have to redraw them several times, to get them correct.

What frustrates me is restarting the drawing over and over, not being able to decide on a start point, getting that correct then moving onto correcting the other area's according to said starting point, i seem to go around and round in circles, so... i dunno, i guess with some practice i'll get it down pat
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

I have that problem a lot and to avoid starting all over again. Draw it lightly on the base layer and then just trace over it on a layer above it a bit darker. That way when you mess it up, you only will loose what is on the base layer which you can erase later anyway. I do that a lot. Especially with the windmill. I had so many layers, I kept forgetting which layer had what on it and then i would forget to change layers when I changed colors.
    As long as you get it right on another layer, you can trace it onto a "finish" layer and then do another part on the base layer and trace thaqt one. When something isn't right, just erase that part and draw it over again.
    Good luck.
    Ken