ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Hi gang, i have come to the point where i realise to be able to paint i need to embark on a study to draw. I was walking past my favorite book shop and saw Peter Grays "The Complete Guide to Drawing & Illustration" in the window for $10 off the RRP bringing it down to $14.99. I'm now half way through and loving it, the book is organised in a course format, but is suitable for reference as well, i have been reading it before bed as i find that's when i absorb information best, and if i read an instruction manual through once before attempting the lessons, i find i don't feel so much like i'm cramming information into my head all at once lol.

Anyways my intention for this thread is to share with you all my journey into the scary wide world of sketching, i will update this thread occasionally with my current sketches both real media and sketched with ArtRage, i felt that it might be helpful for some and refreshing for others to see my progress, in any case i do hope you enjoy laughing at my feeble attempts, and enjoy the rewards of study and dedication with me as my skills advance.

I hope to have my 1st sketch up over the next few days.

The link to the book is here for those interested "The Complete Guide to Drawing & Illustration"
    Last edited by Silentman; 07-23-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to seeing your first sketch and your progression.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Right on silentman! It's a wonderful journey and one that never really ends! I don't sketch as much as I use to, but for a long time...that was all I did. Another good book to read is "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It has some interesting perspectives and is great for people just starting. I look forward to following your work and progress!

Also... try not to become frustrated or feel you are not ready to paint. Painting really only requires some basic sketching, enough to get the idea down on the canvas. Composition, Value, and color do the rest.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Dear Silentman, LOVE sketches and a chance to learn, looking forward!

Sketches are so key to good compositions I think and the ability to draw is rewarding. The most valuable bit of info I ever got was to draw what you see not what you think you are looking at. Even perspective can be right by drawing what you see. I am not talking about abstracts and expressionism, but rather good drawing skills like fantasy drawing and figure drawing. Look forward to your progress and paintings.

Hi Silentman, we seem to be at roughly the same stage in learning to draw.

I have the same book and it's great. I have been copying the most basic sketches in pencil on paper. Haven't tried them in ArtRage yet.

The other book I've just started on is Phil Metzger's "Art of Perspective", since my very first sketches were already wonky!

this will be cool to see your progress. for years and years all ive done is pencil work. So i cant wait to see how it turns out. also you should try to do your sketching on the tablet because its very hard to go from pencil to tablet. Now i have a hard drawing with a pencil!!lol
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Thanks guys for the great encouragement, i started sketching "paper & Pencil" style last night but Mum had to move me "damn it" lol so i'll start again, even for that half an hour as i got over the anxiety it was great fun, i can see myself becoming very addicted, i already look at everything in "line and shade" form lol, i have big aspirations of going down to the local beach and spending hours just sketching in the peace and quiet, but i know i must take this one step at a time so i don't become discouraged.

Sketch - "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that sounds like my kinda book, i'll be hunting it down for sure, as soon as i'm ready to move on from my current one

Sunflower - that's really cool, if you have any suggestion's or questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM, i really hope to see some of your sketches too. I have found the book very good, i will finish reading it in the next couple of nights, but i couldn't wait any longer i just had to start the sketching
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

The drawings I have been posting today on the Critique forum all come from the book The Art of Pencil Drawing By Gene Franks. You begin by drawing 4 or 5 figures.( Square, triangle, circle, oblong, and cone.) These are also to warm up. I still find myself drawing them. Everything is made out of them to some degree. After that, they give you step by step instructions for everything until you are good enough to do them yourself.
    I couldn't draw anything until I started these books. Just practice.
    I started with flowers. They don't complain about it not looking like them.
    Hang in there. Look forward to seeing your drawings.

Ok let the sketching begin, i have 3 offerings, 2 natural sketches, 1 on artist block (the birds of paradise) and 1 on photocopy paper, the other i reworked in photoshop, it was a poorly done sketch for a painting canvas project i bought for a couple of bucks.

Before i post my sketchings, i would like to say, that i think as helpful as the book has been, somehow it got me worrying about the details and technique too much, which was stifling my attempts, you will see in the 1st one (Box & Leaves Attempt), i tried to follow the teachers instructions with using my pencil for measuring perspective and what not and i ended up with a complete mess, which i didn't really want to post but this thread is about my progress

The 2nd atemp, i got the shits and went out the front and drew the next door neighbors Birds Of Paradise Flowers, i did this following my own intuition and feelings on the matter at hand, and too my surprise i came up with what i feel is a very good sketch for my 2nd sketch in all time, never before ever have i sketched freehand from sight only. The experience was awesome, i can see myself heading down to my favorite beach and bush land very soon and getting lost in drawing for days on end, i may even go camping and do just that.

so without further adoo here's my sketches.

Box's & Leaves, BLUKkkkk.... (Bottom Left)

Birds Of Paradise WoooHoooo Right On Dude.... (bottom Right)

And the Sailing Boat rework for painting over. (Top)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SailingBoat_Project_Sketch_resized.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	31181  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Silentman; 07-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22