ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Anyone used the AMD phenom triple core?

Anyone used the AMD phenom triple core?

Hi,
    I'm planning to get a new desktop and was recommended the AMD Phenom 8400 triple core processor on a Gigabyte 780GM S2H motherboard.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
    I could figure things out till a few years back but now there are just too many products/inventions/alternates and I feel a little lost in all the jargon I find on the websites..
    I'd rather trust you guys
    ta in advance,
    F.L.Y.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

If you are upgrading now to a brandnew motherboard.

I personally would save up that little bit extra and go for the AM3 instead.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

That one is the AM3 version of the Tripple Core and each CPU Core is much faster then it's older AM2 brother (the one you mention).

Ofcourse you need a different, AM3 version motherboard. (like Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, Socket-AM3 for example. Or an MSI motherboard. Those are excellent too and not to expensive either)

All in all. It might cost you just about 60-90 dollar extra. But you are much more future proof and the AM3 configuration will last a lot longer. So this few extra bucks are earned back easy!

And don't forget to buy 4GB of RAM! RAM is cheap nowadays and this 4GB (combined with faster CPU core speeds) is really gonna make all the difference when running heavy Art programs like Photoshop, Painter and such.

And oh... if you also like to play 3D games now and then (like me) ....well, this new configuration (together with a nice videocard) will run all the latest games like a breeze)

Jer
    Last edited by JeroKane; 07-23-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Jerokane
    That's sound advice.
    I'm also thinking of going in for DDR3 ram since right now I have a desktop with DDR ram that's become very hard/expensive to upgrade and I don't want to repeat the same misfortune. And so I'd have to go in for the AM3 version I suppose.
    Of course all this depends on affordability at the end.. so here's hoping for a bright and superfast digital future!

Thanks again,
    FLY
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

saw a whole system on ebay for around 549.00 buy it now. with 4 g ram and a huge hard drive. Nice looking unit too. All put together and featuring the 720. Processor is definitely getting good reviews.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 07-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.