Thread: Two Paths and Two ArtRage Recources Folders?

Gallery
    View images

Two Paths and Two ArtRage Recources Folders?

The following is in Windows Vista:

I have two paths to different two different ArtRage Resources Folders. One is C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\.

The other is: C:\Users\Byron\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\

Both have become stuffed with various pickers, stencils, etc. that I have accumulated. But the items between the two paths are not the same. From time to time I believe I have used one or the other to place various resources and now it's a bit of a mess.

What is the difference between the two paths?
    Which is the correct path for adding new resources?
    Can one or the other of the paths be deleted?

What's the scoop .

Thanks, Byron
    Last edited by byroncallas; 07-21-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Byron, what you have found is the interim state before windows7 kicks in. Supposedly with win7 you will not be able to add any 3rd party files to the program install (keeps the install clean) and will only be able to add them to the documents and settings user folder.

Currently I think software is trying to prepare people for when it works that way. If you always have a 'clean' version in a program folder its easy to revert without having to reinstall. No doubt this will make tech support a lot easier for many companies (knowing the program is intact and could not have been messed with).

In a nutshell, at the moment you can put files in either (which is what causes all the confusion), its probably best practice to start adding only to the documents and settings user folder but this cannot always be done at the moment for every program (eg/ painter brushes must go into the program folder).

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Juz; 07-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\ is where any resources which were installed with ArtRage are stored.

C:\Users\Byron\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\ is your user folder where any files the user adds are normally stored.

When you open say, your Stencil panel, it will get stencil information from both folders. If you were to add a stencil category ( Open the Stencil panel menu --> Add New Stencil Category ), that category will appear as a folder in the second location above and any stencils you add to that category will be added within that folder.

The path for adding files of your own is the second one ( the folder for user files ).

Best not to delete either folder really, as you'll either remove the default resources, or end up removing any new ones you've added yourself.

If you've got files you've added yourself in both locations and you want to organise them you could do the following:

1/ Back up both folders to another location ( just in case )
    2/ Uninstall ArtRage. When you go to ArtRage's resources folder, ( the first one ), you should see only the files which you added yourself now, as the installer should remove all files installed by ArtRage.
    3/ Copy the contents of the first folder to the second folder
    4/ Delete the first folder
    5/ Reinstall ArtRage

You should now have a clean install of ArtRage, where all of the files you added are in your user resource folder, and all of the default files are in ArtRage's internal resource folder.

There's a description of the file locations here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ead.php?t=6833
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    By the way, a quick way to get to your Application Data folder in Windows Vista:

Run ( Windows key + R ) then enter 'Appdata'. This will open the Application Data folder for the current user.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Some very handy info in here, Juzzie, your not just a pretty face are you

And Dave you have written the program well indeed if it can source from 2 different locations at the same time
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    Juz, thanks for the very helpful background information.

Dave: Much thanks for the clear explanation and detailed instructions. Much appreciated. I will follow through on your direction.

Again, much appreciated.

Best,
    Byron
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4