ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of art supplies should I get?

Gallery
    View images

What type of art supplies should I get?

Well, first of all, I'd love a good art book, something about A4 in size, with no lines. And some good art supplies.

But mostly, what I'm asking are these questions:

1. What is the best size for a sketch pad?
    2. What is the best type of colouring pens and pencils that you can get?
    3. What is the best colour of paper for a sketch pad or art pad? Black? White? Yellow-ish?
    4. Should I get both black and white paper pads?
    5. What supplies would I need if I was planning on doing good pictures/sketches?
    6. What type of pencils should I get for things like sketching and stuff?

Sorry for lots of questions, but I'm not exactly experienced.

Thank you very much.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

irishrose Guest
    Welcome Weeun...

Your questions are good ones... but do you know this is a digital art forum? We use digital art to compose our paintings.

Are you asking just generally or are you looking for a good website to ask about art supplies you can buy and use at home? I used to belong to a website called Wetcanvas.... www.wetcanvas.com and there are many different types of art media discussed on the board.

I'm pretty sure this is strictly digital, but I could be wrong I know many people here are just doing digital art.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Welcome Weeun...

Your questions are good ones... but do you know this is a digital art forum? We use digital art to compose our paintings.

Are you asking just generally or are you looking for a good website to ask about art supplies you can buy and use at home? I used to belong to a website called Wetcanvas.... www.wetcanvas.com and there are many different types of art media discussed on the board.

I'm pretty sure this is strictly digital, but I could be wrong I know many people here are just doing digital art.
    Thank you for telling me. I wasn't sure if this was Digital Art only.
    Really sorry.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by weeun View Post
    I wasn't sure if this was Digital Art only.
    If your interests are in traditional art, you might want to have a look at ArtPapa:

http://www.artpapa.com/forums/

They have forums for oil painting, pencil sketching, charcoal, acrylics, etc,etc.

Good luck.

Cheers

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 07-21-2009 at 03:10 PM.

irishrose Guest
    Weeun,

You don't have to be sorry at all, we're all artists here and this is the chat section...

I had the same questions when I was starting out in media.

My thoughts are:

Get a few good sketching pencils, a white sketchbook to start, not of great quality if you are just looking to put down some quick sketches.

As for coloring pens and pencils. I have tried many pencils, starting with Prismacolor and others. I found that Faber-Castell Polychromos has the best and makes the least amount of 'dust' or 'crumbs' on the paper... I also find that since it's oil based and not waxed based like Prismacolor, they blend nicer and don't smudge as much. The Polychromos is a bit higher priced, but you'll find really great deals at either Dick Blick (dickblick.com) or Art Supply Warehouse (aswexpress.com). They have the best prices anywhere and low shipping.

For pens, I am using Faber-Castell Pitt Pens and love their waterproof quality as well as the fact that they are archival. They have a nice point to them and great color. I use them for sketches.

As for pencils, I just use regular pencils, though you can get sets of sketching pencils (just browse through some of the art warehouse websites, they are great for that). If you're looking for a colored pencil website (and forum)... www.scribbletalk.com is a great one and they will answer all your questions, or you can just look on their technical section, there is a huge amount of information regarding supplies that they have reviewed and that they have the most success with in sketching in colored pencil, watercolor pencil, etc. WetCanvas has that information too!

Good luck and I do wish you the best in your beginnings. It's exciting!!!

Here is a link to get you started, and you don't have to have an account to get information: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/channels...&channel_id=15.

The best, Rose
    Last edited by irishrose; 07-21-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    You're in good hands Weeun, both of those links are great sources for all things 'traditional'.
    But why spend all that money when you have endless paper and pencil supplies in artrage ? (a lot less mess too)

@Rosie - I love fabercastels too, most pencil artists I've met preferred the prismacolours but i'm too heavy handed and they shatter too easy. I've translated the fabercastel polychromo's to artrage... heres a link to the palette http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=19345

irishrose Guest
    Juz, thanks!!! I love Polys... they really are great. I had a friend tell me about them and tried a few, was hooked. Thank you for the link.. downloading soon! Thank you so much! I am glad you agree with the choice for traditional media

Actually, I love black paper with colored pencil better than white. The light colors really sing!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Juz for pencil colors. All the pallets I've come across as I learn the forum I've been saving.
    RIP:tiny 1999 Wacom Graphire
    tablet: small Wacom Intuos4

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but do you think this site is safe?

I don't want my mum to go buying from it, then to find out it's a bad site.

If you have bought from it before, please say!

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/

It is based in the UK, and Europe, so you might not have used it before, but if you can tell me if it looks safe, then I'd be very grateful.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

Gallery
    View images

Talking

* Prismacolor art pencil/colored pencil are the very best hands down. there are none better. i dont care what anyone says. also i forget what there called but the playdoh type erasers there great you can make them into any shape. the sketch book will be up to you. i like a thicker smooth grain. its all about the weight and grain, so just fill the paper and think about how it will suit you. also there a really neat water color pencils that you can draw with and then with some water and a paint brush go back over them. there alot of fun. I have tons and tons of art supplies. so just pm me if you need to know anything or ask Q's later on.

ps- also if your trying to paint then thats a whole other thread. lol

so just ask if you need anything.
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com