Thread: Mouse Problem: Wacom Intuos4 in ArtRage

Gallery
    View images

Mouse Problem: Wacom Intuos4 in ArtRage

Dave/Matt/Andy: I suddenly face a similar problem with my Wacom Intuos4 Mouse as that with the Bamboo stylus in this thread: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=20786

The difference is that it's the mouse. The attachments illustrate the problem: When I left click the mouse and VERY SLIGHTLY MOVE IT paint jumps across the canvas (or off) to a point where the cursor appears offset at a different location from the actual physical location of the mouse cursor. Paint is subsequently applied at these offset but parallel coordinates as the mouse is additionally moved, as long as the left mouse button has not been unclicked. A new click relocates the cursor to another false coordinate. The distance of the offset location varies with each click.

If I only click, a spot of paint is properly applied. The slightest movement following the click is what sends paint in any number of directions, the place where the cursor shows up offset. Sometimes the paint shoots off the canvas where the cursor has offset off the canvas. Other times it stops at other canvas coordinates where the cursor appears offset from its actual physical location.

It's a 100% of the time problem. Opening and closing ArtRage or rebooting the computer doesn't help.

To resolve another problem (which was successful) I installed the "no_ink.inf" file you provided. It seems to have no affect on this problem installed or uninstalled.

The problem does not happen with the Wacom stylus. It does not happen with a normal mouse, however if the normal mouse is placed on the Wacom tablet, the problem does happen. Taking the normal mouse off the tablet provides the correct action. That would seem to be some kind of hint?????

I have not been able to find other Wacom or Windows Vista settings that provide resolution.

In the second attachment the circle with the red x shows where the mouse is clicked. The other side of the stroke where the paint stops is where the cursor incorrectly appears. Additional lines that are not straight show the continuation of painting, but offset from the position of the physical cursor.

HELP .

Best,
    Byron

Windows Vista Home Edition
    3GB RAM
    Wacom Intuos4 Medium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MousePaintProblem.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	30653  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MousePaintProblem2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	30654  

Last edited by byroncallas; 07-19-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    I read Byron's thread and thought i'd test the wacom mouse on the intuos 3 to see if its also happening on that wacom model. There does not seem to be the issue on the intuos 3, I tested with all brushes but especially with the oils and tubes and it worked perfectly.
    Hope this information helps you guys to narrow down the problem

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the info, Byron. I don't have any of the Wacom mice with our Intuos 4s to duplicate this here, but I've taken a note to look into for the future. I'd recommend using the stylus over the mouse in the meantime.

Is it this mouse or another Wacom mouse? https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/pr...Category_ID=95
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Thanks for the info, Byron. I don't have any of the Wacom mice with our Intuos 4s to duplicate this here, but I've taken a note to look into for the future. I'd recommend using the stylus over the mouse in the meantime.

Is it this mouse or another Wacom mouse? https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/pr...Category_ID=95

Thank you Dave. Yes, it is the Wacom Intuos 4 Mouse.

Note that as far as I can tell the cursor displacement problem only happens with the ArtRage Paint Tools at the point of performing a left click with any slight movement to apply paint. Otherwise, it works fine in all other programs, and also within ArtRage to perform any other task such as menu selections. It is a new problem that suddenly emerged. It worked fine in for the first month.

I do hope there will be a solution. I'll keep trying different things and post a solution if one emerges.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    //

Gallery
    View images
    Dave, I have stumbled on a 99 percent solution. In the Wacom Tablet Properties (accessed through the control panel for the Wacom Tablet) the following settings provided help: On the mapping tag with Artrage and Mouse selected for applying settings:

For TOOL: select Mouse
    For APPLICATION: select Artrage
    Select MAPPING tab
    For MODE: select Pen
    For SCREEN AREA: select Full.
    DO NOT select "Force Proportions" option.

For TABLE AREA: select Full.
    This solved the problem except IN THE FIRST INSTANCE of moving the mouse from the left monitor to the right monitor when ArtRage is on the right monitor. In that one case the first click in ArtRage may produce the problem, but all subsequent clicks and drag work correctly as long as I stay INSIDE THE ARTRAGE APPLICATION.

Selecting mouse mode rather than pen mode brings back the problem.
    Selecting force proportions seems to transfer the initial problem from the mouse to the pen, but with less predictable results.

Meanwhile, the dual monitor configuration causes different intermittent behaviors depending on which of these various settings are selected and when and where clicks are performed as the mouse (or pen) is moved from monitor to monitor and in and out of ArtRage. These may include the direction and distance of cursor displacement, mapping behavior, and tracking speed as the computer attempts to balance different pen and mouse settings between programs while mapping between monitors. It appears the combination of possible settings and monitors can get complex and cause problems.

It seems for now my primary problem is solved with the above settings except the first action of applying a paint tool when moving from one monitor outside of ArtRage to another monitor and into ArtRage, a weird but livable problem.

I suspect others might have different results depending on how ink-services are managed, monitor configurations, Human Interface Devices settings for Vista in the Device Manager (if Vista is the platform), hardware drivers, etc. I've a guess my problem is not a "one size fits all problem", with a "one size fits all solution". But maybe others encountering this problem will benefit from my experience.

I'm interested in any solutions others have found.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    //