ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Indian Chief Painting

St. Thomas, USVI

Indian Chief Painting

Hi All,

OK, here is the Indian Chief painting that I am working on. It has a long way to go. I do have three versions but this is the main one. Any ideas comments or critiques are most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aaaCHIEFpainting.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	30637  

Great painting. Three things you need to work on however.

1. Necks are sloped, not straight up and down. Perhaps you can find some neck-reference pictures?

2. If he is Indian, should he not be more tanned than that?

3. Try adding eyelashes and making the lips a little smaller, no offence, but he kinda creeps me out.

That's all I suppose. It's amazingly well done.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a

i agree. i would also work on his eyes, not so wide opened. he looks a lil "Shocked" also with the lips make them a bit smaller and remember the V shape under the nose and the top of the lip. other then that its looking good. cant wait to see it finished.
    my work-

I think what you have at this stage is a good under painting, now go and paint the shadows and highlights, and add some texture. Remember to keep the fine details to a minimum except for where you want the viewer to focus, which i suppose would be his face in this portrait.

Over all good job i think
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

- 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62

- Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Bowie, MD (United States)
    looking good so far... my only suggestion aside from what others have said would be to try darkening the shadows a bit... they're kind of light as is, and darkening them may bring out some detail.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau