Thread: Bug when flipping canvas?

Bug when flipping canvas?

I've noticed then when I use "Transform Layer Contents..." and "Flip Horizontally" on large canvases (both in terms of dimension and file size) it will move the image slightly, resulting in a row of blank pixels against one of the borders.

Example, my current image is on a 6000 height canvas, no layers. Flipping it once gave a row of blank pixels on the left. Flipping again gave a double row of blank pixels at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Simon,

I was also able to reproduce this with large canvases. Thanks for reporting it! I've added it to our list to be looked at for an update.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Actually, I've noticed a similar problem when resizing the canvas - if I move the current one (in the preview) to one edge/corner of the new enlarged canvas, there's always a small line of extra canvas.

No probs, Dave, thanks

Flynn_the_Cat - Yep, I also noticed that. At the time I thought I'd just positioned the preview wrongly but thinking back, it was the same type of thing.

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, I have this problem too. One workaround, before doing the flipping transform, is to slightly increase the canvas to pickup up the line of lost pixels, then reposition the flipped layer, then re-size the canvas back to its original dimension. It's a weird but workable workaround when confronted with a block of color where the lost pixels are evident. It's touchy however, because its hard to get a 1 pixel layer move correctly for all coordinates. A keyboard nudge would be very helpful for this kind of thing.

The problem pixel line is usually the far left side of the canvas . The attachment examples below illustrate the successful moves. (NOTE: SELECT THE IMAGES BELOW TO ENLARGE THEM, OTHERWISE THE SMALLER IMAGES SEEMS TO SHOW, AT LEAST ON MY MONITOR, THAT NOTHING HAPPENED. IT IS CORRECTLY SEEN IN THE BLOW UPS.)

The first screen shows the pixel line displacement on the left outer edge of the canvas just after transforming (flipping) the top, black layer.

The second shows a 1/10th inch increase in the canvas size that should be done before making the flip.

The third screen shows the flipped black layer nudged a pixel (or so) to the left.

The fourth screen shows the result after resizing the canvas back to its original size.

The problem seems to be a displacement of the entire layer by about a pixel (?). For images where the displacement is evident inside the canvas the workaround is simply to reposition the layer following the flip transformation. If the displacement (and replacement) of the layer would be evident on both outer edges of the canvas following a nudge it is necessary to increase the canvas size BEFORE the first layer flipping. Otherwise, a row pixels may be lost on the right side of the canvas. That would be the case in my example exhibits below.

It's best to save a copy of the AR file before starting this process. At one or two pixels and without a keyboard nudge, this can be a bit hit and miss. But it does work if you are patient and for whatever reasons simply filling in with new paint isn't satisfactory.

Finally, on larger canvases where the displacement seems on both the left and bottom of the canvas, the same process works. You just have to nudge the flipped layer in two directions. Here it is quite important to slightly increase the size of the canvas before flipping the layer. If the layer repositioning is precise returning the canvas back to its original size provides the desired result that was originally intended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transform problem.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	30678  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transform problem2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	30679  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transform problem3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	30680  

Last edited by byroncallas; 07-21-2009 at 05:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    ,,, luv u guys!!! didn't know canvas could be flipped!!!!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    ,,, luv u guys!!! didn't know canvas could be flipped!!!!

Hi Lee. What's happening here is LAYER flipping, done from the transform layer module. It's a great tool with numerous applications.

On the layer options menu, select "Transform Layer Contents". Then select the arrow selector on the right side of the module that appears. Then select the option to flip horizontally or vertically.

I only discovered this by reading the manual. There is lots of stuff in the PDF manual I would not have discovered if I hadn't one day sat down and read it from beginning to end, especially regarding blend and layer options. Reading the manual was the single most productive day of my ArtRage Experience. It was like being given keys to the kingdom.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Byron, soooo helpful!!! thank you!!! xox