ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manga drawing

Manga drawing

Some people asked me how I'm doing those illustrations, which looks like from manga. So...^___^ it will be easy, so I hope that you will understand my bad English and find this tutorial useful

1) Making a sketch

It's the same like in other kinds of drawings, so I won't write how I did it.
    I chose Jaejoong for this little tutorial ^__^ As always, my sketch is quite rough, so don't except anything special :P

2) Lineart

In manga style the most important thing is to make good lineart. I made it with markers (100% pressure 98% softness 40% wetness).
    It starting to look like a real manga style drawing. But what we need the most? Yes - halftones.
    3)
    I'm using halftones as stencils. I have so many of it, so I use another place for it (not typical for stencils). As you can see, you can choose destination of stencils folder by clicking "Load a stencil from a disk".
    4)
    After choosing this option, you can explore all folders to look for useful files. The tip - you can use almost all formats, not only png - just choose all types of formats, and you will see ale bitmaps on your disc
    5)
    Now, after making a new layer, you can add first halftone. As you can see - I'm using halftones as some kind of filters, which would help me make any texture. Besides of that, I'm colouring in a normal way - using oils.
    And how did I do this lighter part of hair? Well, I made halftone on all his head, and after this I made gradient on the top of his head using white colour (on another layer - yeah, in this kind of drawing I'm using a lot layers). When I finished it, I used rubber to delete some unnecessary parts or make some dark tones.
    6)
    Now I'm making some darker place on his hair - remember - for other types of tones use different halftones.
    Use iot only in places, where should be shown some dark hair.
    7)
    I used the same halftone for glasses and mouth, as for darker places on hair.
    8)
    Now - use some light halftone for a skin - as you can see, I don't use any tricks, just colour everything trough stencils
    9)
    Now adding some cosmetics changes like darker places or gradient on his hand. Look how many layers I have got - it's because I never know how the picture will come out after using stencil, so want to have a choice to delete some parts of drawing without ruining the rest of it.
    10)
    The last part - add background (as halftone stencil of course ;P), some touch-ups (white oils for lighten places etc.), and the drawing is ready:

Easy, right?
    The drawing was made only for this tutorial, but I'll submit it tomorrow because I like the effect on it ;P

Very nice tutorial, great technique Enemembis, thanks for sharing

thank you^__^ I hope that some people will use it

Excellent. Anyone can use this to see how to work with layers for many styles of painting and drawing, and for your Manga style, it's wonderful. Thanks for posting. I would think many people will find it very useful.

Great job
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Neat tutorial, emenemsbis! Thank you for sharing it

We've featured it on the ArtRage homepage and in the news in the ArtRage updater.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

byroncallas - I hope that it's true what you just wrote thanks^^

Dave - oh my, thank you so much *_____* It's my pleasure that I could help somone and in the same time - be featured

Thats perhaps the best use of stencils I have seen so far. What an impressive expressive image you have created with such a clever use of tools. But still it is by no doubt your talented linework that makes the art. Very inspira. DoodLS

DoodLS, you're too kind *^^*

Great drawing. Great tutorial! You explained everything so simply. Thank you.

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of making this tutorial. Very inspirational and as always, your artwork is amazing!