Thread: More control over brush size?

Gallery
    View images

More control over brush size?

Hi!
    I just purchased Artrage and I really like it so far...but I'd really like if someone could tell me how to have more control on the brush size.

I usually work in high resolutions like 4000x2000 and I hope there is some way to have more control over the size of the cursor, because right now it's just painful. For exemple, I use the paintroll tool, when it's 100% size it is still so small, I want it bigger!

Or another exemple, when I work at a normal resolution, I would actually like to paint details using the paintroll, I like the angular look. But When it's at 1% size, it's still too big to paint tiny details...I know I could use the oil paint, but it doesn't have the same look. So is it possible to make the paintroll smaller or bigger than the default 0% to 100% size?

Please help me!

JR

Gallery
    View images
    How big is 'big enough'?

AndyRage
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Not knowing how your algoriths work -- is there a reason to limit it? What if it maxed out at the maximum dimension of the current drawing? Otherwise, I suppose a really big number -- 4096 or something, that would allow a stroke to cover most people's canvases.

To be honest, I wasn't a requestor for this, so take these thoughts for what they may be worth.

One challenge with really big numbers (and small ones) would be how they are selected using the current interface. You would almost need a option to select the percent as you do now, or a pixel width.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    In reality it could be any number. The limitations are really on the 'value of the experience'.
    This afternoon I made the upper limit 2.5 times greater than it currently is. The tool works well, but the experience to the user is that it feels slow and cumbersome. Additionally the stroke preview (bottom left pane) becomes a bit meaningless as everything from 36% upwards just fills the entire preview. (I know that's a minor issue, but that kind of thing can scare people!)

One potential solution is to scale the sizes of the brush to the size of the canvas. eg. on a 800 x 600 canvas a 100% brush is 100 pixels wide. On a 1600 x 1200 canvas a 100% brush changes is 200 pixels wide.
    Of course, this means if you're painting away, discover your canvas is too small (paintings grow, you know...) and you resize the canvas, then your brush changes apparent size.

Maybe we just allow people to type a number larger than '100%' into the text entry. You want a brush 400% in size? Go ahead... your preview is funky, and the stroke feels a bit clunky, but hey, we're not going to stop you...

Just some ideas, anyway.
    (Teaser for pending patch: I might have altered the total range of the roller tool (was 20 - 200, now 3 - 400))

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Andy, I like the idea of letting people just type in whatever they want. As an obvious feature (oh look, I can click and drag and make it bigger and bigger and...), it would probably lead to the usability complaints you outlined, but by leaving the draggable upper limit at 100% and letting people type in a higher value, it can be one of those undocumented, unsupported, use-at-your-own-risk things. Seems like it'd be a nice compromise.

- Gita

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Andy,

Thanks for the anwser. That was actually my first reflex entering a bigger value than 100% in the text entry. That would be cool.

But another way that could even be better is being able to manage it in preference, where you could actually enter the value you want for 100% and for 1%. (from 1 to 1000! Or any big number that doesn't make it crash...)
    This way you could customize it for the need of the project your doing and you would not need to try to type the number you "think" will be the size you want, and the inteface would not change at all. It probably be cool to be able to do this on all the tools actually.

JR

Gallery
    View images
    yes, I also noticed the larger the document/canvas, the smaller the brushes will be. while this can be nice when working in great detail on a large canvas, it can also be tedious when trying to put in larger "blocks' of paint, or paint large objects, like clouds for example.
    it would also be interesting if one could have a "bristle" option, to control how coarse or smooth the brush itself is, although I am suggesting this with keeping simplicity in mind (which is one of the main reasons I love artrage so much).