ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does everyone like to see where people live

Is it just me or does everyone like to see where people live

Hi Gang, i have a habit of looking where people live, over the years i've found it helps to relate with people if you know which country they live, ie; talking to a member from Irak is gonna be completely different to talking with a member from Australia. I've found it really helps with the medium that we are communicating on, which can be misunderstood at the drop of the hat!

Also if you make regular use of emoticons it helps to explain the mood the post was written in, so if i'm cranky about something i put a if i'm happy or have made a joke and want to make sure the other person knows "i'm joking" i place a after it.

I was wondering how everyone else feels about displaying your country, and if you feel like i do about it change your profile to display your country and be proud, to a certain extent we are representing our coutries, we are ambassadors
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

I would suggest that people who don't do it fall into one of 3 catagories:-

1/ People to whom anonymity online is important

2/ People who would like to but don't know how to set it up

3/ People who like myself have immigrated, being able to display only one country would probably lead to more confusion than be helpful. I talk like an aussie but live in canada so which do i put ?

I completely agree about liking to see a "location" in a person's profile but it's a personal choice in the final analysis I suppose. As for the emoticons, I often wish for a wider choice but that's as may be. It's nice to have even the few we have but not nearly as important as (and I know I say this quite often) the spirit of this very unique community.
    I learned long ago, in my days of being a member of an IRC community ten and more years ago, that every word needs to be chosen carefully, in all cases, as there is little inflection possible by simply typing and sending a message. That problem can become compounded when sending cross-cultural messages. That having been said, I have only seen two instances of conflict in my two plus years here while witnessing countless acts of cross-cultural kindness, understanding, and tolerance.
    Something else I have mentioned more than once is a reference to something one of the Rage Brothers said about their fear that in creating the ArtRage Forums they were creating a ghost town. The Rage Brothers are geniuses but obviously not prescient. What they created was a place for like minded individuals of all cultures to come together in a spirit of support and celebration and to not only be a source of inspiration to each other but also to just be friends.
    I had no intention of rambling on so my friends. I guess I wear my heart on my sleeve where it concerns the good folks that I continually meet here.

Canada late of Australia?
    A formerly Aussie Canuck?

LOL exactly... now you see my problem with only being allowed to display one country.
    AussieCanucky stung together as one word sounds like their imaginary monster Ogopogo (canadas version of the loch ness monster), I bet weembaman could paint a good one

Hehee on IRC (you must of been hanging around the nice places).

I do agree on seeing the location though, its nice to see you have friends all over the world
    Last edited by Juz; 07-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.

I used mirc and created own nice place. It was a going concern for a couple of years. We even had several "meets" two of which took place in Toronto ... an utterly amazing city.

I'm out in the west and haven't yet seen the hugeness that is Toronto.
    Good to hear of mIRC being put to such positive use, that is one way to make sure you like the rules (run the channel)

Toronto was a startling revelation to me, even having grown up just across the river from Sault Saint Marie, Ontario. It's not even a city anymore but a metro-plex.

I'm out near the beautiful rocky mountains and I imagine Toronto to be Canadas matching man-made version (of said mountains). Even with a GPS I can see myself getting lost there.

You'll always be an Aussie to me Juz

And now back onto topic how do other people feel about this subject please
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22