ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Constrain stroke direction ...

Gallery
    View images

Constrain stroke direction ...

I can't find this option anywhere in ArtRage, so I guess it isn't there, but I'd love the ability to hold down shift to constrain the stroke direction.

This would be useful with say the palette knife to pull colours down vertically for dragging reflections into water Bob Ross style!

Cheers
    Matt

Haha, gotta love Bob Ross. I wouldn't be aware of him were it not for Youtube His eps of 'The Joy(s) of Painting' are the most relaxing thing on this earth.

Gallery
    View images
    Hold a piece of cardboard against your tablet, and run your stylus against the edge of the cardboard. Voila. Be sure to start your knife strokes before the beginning of the wet paint, so that the knife orientation settles into the stroke properly.

If you're using a mouse, the same thing goes, but it's harder to keep the mouse-to-cardboard angle consistent.

I agree that there can be more done in the software to support the strengths of the computer, but don't forget where you can do things in the hardware to support the strengths of the real world!
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    Locking the stroke direction has been suggested before... And I sure hope to see it in artrage soon :!: :twisted:

Gallery
    View images
    This is a feature I also is missing, I have started a thread with a suggestion of a ruler/curveguide approach to this problem.
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=2493

Tell me what you think about it.

(Hey Matt, is you the Lightwave vX matt?)

Gallery
    View images
    Well, I have a $1.00 transparent plastic ruler with a little handle glued onto it that I use on my Cintiq -- does the trick nicely.

However, I would like to see the ability to lock down brush rotation -- So that it stays at one angle until you rotate it again. My Cintiq 18SX does not have tilt support, and neither do many Tablet PC's.

I have a plugin tool that I created for another painting program, that controls this -- The brush rotation is normally locked, but to rotate the brush, you merely lift the stylus, and violently shake it in the direction you wish to align it to. This would be great for making angled strokes with the palette knife, oilbrush, pencils, etc.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSt
    This is a feature I also is missing, I have started a thread with a suggestion of a ruler/curveguide approach to this problem.
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=2493

Tell me what you think about it.

(Hey Matt, is you the Lightwave vX matt?)
    Yes, it is me the vX Matt!

Gallery
    View images
    Nice to meet you over here! I'm Ztreem at the LW community.