ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lineart tracing layer (like in pt sai)

Gallery
    View images

Lineart tracing layer (like in pt sai)

The other reason I use pt Sai
    http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/
    over artrage in some cases is the ability to easily trace a sketch with clean lineart. It is done by a lineart layer,in which the user does not have to even use a tablet (although it can be used and its handy for smaller details). That is done by drawing straight lines and making them curvy by clicking and creating manipulation dots. All that has to be done is point out all the correct places of the dots and the lines just snap and are later easy to manipulate.

This layer is by no means a Vector layer, but it does act like one and gives the user the power and ease of vector tracing. Lines do not act like in a vector programme.They are far easier to manipulate. The user can then tell a line to be thicked or thinner,by specifying its weight on a dot. Lines can also be colored,changed in size,they can look just like drawn by a skillfull hand. Lines are easy to erase and trim (alt+click on dots) without the danger of erasing other details and the need to change the options of a eraser tool.You just click alt+click on the dots.

So yeah,this is VERY usefull and saves a lot of time to anyone who is drawing- no matter in what style.
    This function and the select/masking make paint tool sai so much better than many other apps. I would love to see it in artrage one day.

Gallery
    View images
    With the sort of mentality that goes here, "you can't do that because it's not traditional", not expecting to see anything revolutionary like SAI's inking layer.
    Black triangle cursor option for ArtRage 3 please!

Gallery
    View images
    I have to be honest here, there is no comparison between Sai and ArtRage, i went to your link and took one look at the UI and thought to myself, i much prefer ArtRage.

I am getting the feeling that you prefer ArtRages UI as well, other wise you wouldn't be asking for extra features you alread have in Sai.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    You can't judge on a screenshot, try it! Most people like myself like some things in a program and others in another program.

Gallery
    View images
    I was talking about the UI, i was judging the UI which can be seen with a screenshot, i didn't say it was a bad program, i said i prefer ArtRages UI

UI = Use Interface.

Anyways my apologies, i didn't mean any offense and it was a little off topic
    Last edited by Silentman; 07-14-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    No that's what I meant, you have to try the interface, it may not be as eyecandy as AR is but it has it's own merits.

To stay on topic as for the inking tools I would be happy if AR3 had a proper and I mean proper inking nibs and brushes, I want spoon nibs, crowquill, pen points, square points, kolinsky brushes, I want it all but without the limitations of traditional and the artificial of other programs, meaning no circular brushes!
    Last edited by furio; 07-15-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    While I'm sure there are people would make good use of a vector-like feature (I would likely use it, were it there), I can see why the AR team would decide against it. Tools like this come off as very technical in nature. The AR team seem to want to cater to those people who are looking for a digital tool that they can pick up and use as easily as they would pick up a pad and a pencil. Something that seems simple to some, like understanding what "Ctrl+C" does or how to take a screen shot, can baffle many others.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    While I'm sure there are people would make good use of a vector-like feature (I would likely use it, were it there), I can see why the AR team would decide against it. Tools like this come off as very technical in nature. The AR team seem to want to cater to those people who are looking for a digital tool that they can pick up and use as easily as they would pick up a pad and a pencil. Something that seems simple to some, like understanding what "Ctrl+C" does or how to take a screen shot, can baffle many others.
    have you actually tried using it? It's as technicle as connecting dots on paper.

While im sure its not the most realistic thing in the world, i must say that this little line tracing feature has saved me hours upon hours of hard work. Some of the older tablet users tend to have trouble getting used to tablet- Its very hard to do precise brush strokes,especially when you have long curves. This tool is perfect for those who hvae that kind of trouble and just want to have a good,clean ink lineart of their sketch.

A friend,who is a classical animator (for 20 years now) got a tablet recently. But he couldn't just do good brushstrokes as well as he does on paper. After I showed him paint tool sai,he loved it only because of that perticular feature. He is not a technicle type of a person. He just saw its logic and started using it right away..and loved it. Good,fast,clean lines- every illustrator loves that. It's line tracing done right. Simple and powerful.

Now if artrage is not intended for doing cartoon illustrations,I will understand not ever including this feature. I know for a fact that this feature has made my friend's work a lot easier and helped him move to the digital side of art.

I know the feature,I have used it- it just makes sense to have it on any drawing software.

We are not talking about the gui.Its clear that AR's gui is superior. What i mean is the tracing layer, where you just draw lines with clicks of the mouse, bend the lines,move them, apply weight,size or color just by manipulating their dots. Its thinking out of the box- take a useful aspect from one place and apply it to another. I think that Sai's author is a genius for taking advantage of that logic of tracing.
    Last edited by blurymind; 07-28-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by blurymind View Post
    have you actually tried using it? It's as technicle as connecting dots on paper.
    No, I haven't used it first hand, but I'm well aware it's not something that operates like Photoshops Pen Tool or Illustrators vector lines (which I use often). It's more like a glorified version of MS Paints curve tool.

Regardless of it's ease of use, one only has to read through some of the posts in the technical forums or the tutorial forums to realize what seems simple to some can easily confuse others. I've seen numerous posts on layers alone, which to me seems like the most basic of things when it comes to computer image editing or painting. Now, this isn't to say these people aren't capable of learning how to use the tool. It's just when they pick it up they may be put off by the fact that it doesn't work like a tool one would use when working on a traditional image. For them, simply using a computer instead of a cloth canvas is a huge step.

Again... I'd probably make use of a tool like this and would like to see something like it in AR. At the same time, I can understand why they'd pass on it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    No, I haven't used it first hand, but I'm well aware it's not something that operates like Photoshops Pen Tool or Illustrators vector lines (which I use often). It's more like a glorified version of MS Paints curve tool.

Huh?! It's nothing like MS curve tool, nothing like it at all, it's vectors done right, it's Photoshop Pen Tool without the archaic interface, without the old hard way of doing simple things like curving a line or deleting a point.