Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Colours of ArtRagers - palette thread (UPDATE - Request Your Palette)

Hi Byron ... great questions

1. You will be fine with any value from any of the palettes in the thread as all palettes contain print safe colours

2,3 and 4. This one is a bit more hit or miss ... largely you will be fine to blend and still stay within gamut. Starting from colours within gamut helps and most colours tend to desaturate on blending. This is true for black and white too. However with values that are really bright instances of a hue you can blow some of the inbetween values in the blend out of gamut. I've included a pic with a test blend to show you this between the brightest yellow and the brightest red in your palette. As you can see in this instance the nearest printable colour is close enough that we wouldn't get too much of a shock at the printers.

In general stay away from supersaturated hues (all values in the second picture are out of gamut, this is also true for dark supersaturated values). Warm reds tend to shift to more pinky (magenta ink) reds.
    There is a good diagram showing the overlay of respective gamuts so you can see which values are in RGB but not CMYK here http://dx.sheridan.com/advisor/cmyk_color.html

5. I use photoshop to determine if values are within print gamut. See picture also.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Juz; 07-14-2009 at 11:30 AM.

This is fascinating.

Weembaman has delighted us all for ages with the creative often crazy adventures of puddy. He is such a prolific artist that downloading all his gallery works to sample was half the job for this palette. Weembaman I can't count the number of times Puddy has made me smile, thank you for your constant delightful contributions to this forum. Here is the:-

Masterpalette of Weembaman (and puddy)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good Work Juz, i can see you've been really busy, it's a real gift your offering here. When your done, i'm gonna collect them and create one Master Pallet hehehe, unless you do 1st and then i'll download yours, i think you could a much better job than i can
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

this is really awesome your doing this. i hope everyone is enjoying what your doing for them. keep up the great work!!!
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Thanks so much Flynn_the_cat, Silentman and Chambersecrets

Great idea on the Artragers Master Palette Silentman

Dear Juz, that may be very technical and scientific, but i think it is an incredible painting as is, just beautiful in its construction and surely must reflect Weem and Puddy very well

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Hi Byron ... great questions

1. You will be fine with any value from any of the palettes in the thread as all palettes contain print safe colours

2,3 and 4. This one is a bit more hit or miss ... largely you will be fine to blend and still stay within gamut. Starting from colours within gamut helps and most colours tend to desaturate on blending. This is true for black and white too. However with values that are really bright instances of a hue you can blow some of the inbetween values in the blend out of gamut. I've included a pic with a test blend to show you this between the brightest yellow and the brightest red in your palette. As you can see in this instance the nearest printable colour is close enough that we wouldn't get too much of a shock at the printers.

In general stay away from supersaturated hues (all values in the second picture are out of gamut, this is also true for dark supersaturated values). Warm reds tend to shift to more pinky (magenta ink) reds.
    There is a good diagram showing the overlay of respective gamuts so you can see which values are in RGB but not CMYK here http://dx.sheridan.com/advisor/cmyk_color.html

5. I use photoshop to determine if values are within print gamut. See picture also.

Juz, thanks so much. Much appreciate your thoughtful and clear answers to the questions. It's immensely useful for me. No doubt there will be others who will take advantage of your good input. Thanks again.

LIkewise, thanks for the "digital experts" link. That's a good site.

Meanwhile, I'm already using my pallet. I use it now in conjunction with your master CYMK gamut pallet, which is a godsend (well, a juzsend). I will probably combine the two in some manner. I will also experiment with some of the other artists' pallets and see what alternative color results materialize in my own work.

Finally, it was great to see the Weemb/Puddy pallet appear. Weemb's color constructions in the Puddy Chronicles always lift my spirits. He does have a wonderful, exciting pallet (just needs some yellow ).

Thanks again. This is going to be one of those threads that should get a sticky. Its value has legs.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 07-14-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Thanks Lee but I can't take the credit. It was Oriane's idea to apply an 'Extrude' filter in photoshop to affect this look. My original was just 8x8 squares of each colour before applying the filter

Byron you are most welcome, it gives me a lot of joy to know that you are having fun playing around with these palettes

Robert S Wade is not only a masterful painter, he is one of those rare people that is able to mentor others, no matter their skill level or whether they require gentle handholding or a stern taskmaster. If you wish to improve your technique then listening to Robert is a great way to go. So hats off to Robert and let me introduce the:-

Robert S Wade Masterpalette
    Attached Files Attached Files