ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Transparent Background

Question Transparent Background

Hi,
    Does anyone know how I can draw and save with just a transparent background? when I save my work and open it in photoshop or a scrapbook programme then I always have a coloured background, which entails so much work to erase it. I am new to this product and to the forums, it's quite scarey.

When starting a new drawing create a new layer first.
    The bg layer will contain color or texture but all layers above do not.
    So draw on the layers above your bg layer and export as psd will retain layering.
    When opened in photoshop or any other editor that supports the psd format,the layering is intact and you can simply delete the bg layer and then have it exported as png with transparent bg.

Hans

You can also edit the background layer - the transparency is called 'opacity'.

Also, because the layers are photoshop compatible, you can change the opacity in Photoshop. (eg, turn off bottom layer, leave the one syou drew on intact)

It is a good idea to draw automatically on a separate layer though ^_^

(also, export layer leaves it transparent, but 'export image' tends to save it with a white background. i think. Something I noticed tonight but wasn't paying attention to.... )

I replied to your other post on this topic here:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=13254
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

When exporting an image, both the .PNG and .PSD formats will support alpha (transparency) on export from artrage.

Some programs like the windows picture and fax viewer do not however support alpha and so will fill the checkerboard with white when you view them. However if you open the same file in a program that supports alpha like photoshop you will find the transparency intact.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to help Now with your help I understand.