ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase 2.5 or wait

Purchase 2.5 or wait

Hi,
    From what I can read in the forum, version 3 will be coming out soonish. What I'd like to know is would it be beneficial to wait and pay for the software, then, or purchase it before 3 comes out and then pay the upgrade fee? Some software, when it is close to a paid upgrade, offers some kind of inclusive deal. But I am new to ArtRage, only hearing of it today and interested in it, but there is no hurry. Any comments? Thanks!

Hi,

Most software-companies have a period of grace,
    Don't know if this is the case with Ambient.
    But usually owners get an upgrade discount for the new release

Hans

Hey Welcome to the ArtRage Commnity

This post by AndyRage on 4-9-09 may help you deside:

"We're still debating how the upgrade policy will work.
    You can be assured the final policy will be beneficial to existing owners of ArtRage 2.5
    I just can't say exactly what it is yet. "

Found at:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...9&postcount=22

Hope that helps

- Justin

Thanks, Hans and Justin for your input. I'm leaning in the direction of just waiting until 3 comes out because if I purchase 2.5 now and then pay an upgrade fee that users of 2.5 would qualify for, it would probably still cost more overall. I'm pinching pennies these days. And using pencils and a sketchpad. Thanks for your sociability.

Hi JoGirl,

I think that buying Artrage 2.5 was one of the most satisfying purchases I've ever made. Rarely has a piece of software worked so well and given me such joy. And all for the price of a couple of pizza's.
    I just wish I would have bought it sooner because I have paid a lot more money for more complex painting software. But Artrage really allows me to paint the images that are in my head, quickly and without getting in my way like some software does. To me that is worth the money.

Good luck with your decision.
    P.S. I do not work for Artrage

Hi radar,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't find ArtRage until I had purchased (Yikes!) several other software packages along with a Wacom Bamboo Fun which came with, yet, other software included. I have stumbled along the way but am learning. I need to purchase a scanner, too.

I really enjoy this forum; so many satisfied users. Great! I look forward to using ArtRage, someday soon. I'm still on the fence.

2.5 is $25, it is an awesome program, even if 3.0 cost the same amount, why would you wait, don't wait, begin your journey of complete artistic freedom NOW

i only just bought my copy, this is my No.1 favorite forum and ArtRage is No.1 favorite program, Photoshop has become largely business like, it has a very steep learning curve before you can start making art "of your own" that looks good enough to want to share.

ArtRage isn't like that, i've been playing with stencils making some great art, especially starting with a stencil "i made" then using brushes to add more interest to it.

I used the demo version for about 30 mins and couldn't wait to get my hands on layers, Layers make a world of difference to what you can do with ArtRage

"ArtRage is like a Sandpit for kids", you can jump right in and push colours around smoosh this and smoosh that there, it's wonderful, and yet it still has the technical side that is needed for serious paintings.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Just to ask the obvious, stupid question so it's out of the way: You do know that there's a free version, right? It doesn't have all the features, but it is fantastic anyway. You can do an awful lot with it, and it will give you a good feel towards whether you want to pay.

Remember, the ArtRage guys have not said when 3.0 is coming out... only forum-members (who, honestly, have no idea) are saying "soon". It could be months. It could be next year... or the year after.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Buy now

Ambient is a very small developer team who have a lot of pride in their work and wont be caught putting anything beta or substandard onto the market. This means the date for artrage 3 is 'when ambient art satisfied that what they have is solid and ready'. So a slow production process but a solid reliable product at the end of the day.

The large players like adobe and corel have huge production teams (adobe especially) and push out ready or not versions annually as they have shareholders to keep happy. Fast production process but buggy or bloated software.

So it may be some time til we see artrage 3 but at least you know that what you get in the end is 'gold'. In the meantime 2.5 is great software
    Last edited by Juz; 07-07-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Well, I hate to play the devil's advocate (no I don't), but since she already bought software, in her position I'd be tempted to wait, too. If she didn't have anything else, then that's one thing, but since she does, and since Ambient hasn't really specified what the update program will be (other than beneficial, which is vague), I think I'd just play with the free one. Save the money. It's great to support a developer, but it's better to support yourself first. Tight times and all.