Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing tool's size

Gallery
    View images

Changing tool's size

Haven't seen a thread like that, so I'm sorry if it was...

In Corel Painter there's a possibility to set a size of stroke by simply pressing and holding Ctrl+Alt, then left-clicking and dragging cursor around, setting the size as wished
    It would be nice to have such possibility in AR 2 or AR 3, because resizing the tool by clicking on it's icon in the left corner of screen or by pressing 'Left' and 'Right' buttons on keyboard is quite annoying...

Gallery
    View images
    Yes good suggestion, AR2.5 relies too much on UI interactivity instead of shortcuts like other programs, my n#1 complaint of 2.5
    Black triangle cursor option for ArtRage 3 please!

Gallery
    View images
    I guess some of you are simply so busy an extra key stroke or two is a hassle.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    corel sounds like way more for clicking then the AR left or right arrow keys.
    ive never used corel but alt+ctrl +++= sounds like a lil more then the arrow keys. lol
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Gallery
    View images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by chambersecrets View Post
    corel sounds like way more for clicking then the AR left or right arrow keys.
    ive never used corel but alt+ctrl +++= sounds like a lil more then the arrow keys. lol
    Then you should try it in Painter - this way of resizing is very comfortable...
    ...for me, at least - my left arm is always on the left side of the keyboard, and it takes less time to press Ctrl+Alt in one time and then with a cursor set the size of a tool...
    'Left' and 'Right' buttons are too far away: often longing to them and pressing doesn't make any good mood (and I have to do it VERY often when making details)...
    This feature would be nice in any case - if you won't need it, won't use it)
    I find it helpful, so I made this suggestion

It's all up to Ambient Design now...

Gallery
    View images
    I set up the slider control on my tablet to do the '+' and '-' keys, which works for me.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images
    Live brush resize is different than going from 10px, 20px, 30x...60px, you can go from 10px to 200 in one go.

Here's another program with live brush resizing, check the highlighted shortcuts:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot081.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	29813  

Gallery
    View images
    See, all of that detail in the interface takes away some of the pleasure of ArtRage's simplicity.I love the basic, clean look of the screen and tool options.
    The pointer could be easier to see, I agree, though.
    If changing the program, I really wouldn't mess with the simplicity aspect.
    That's the main advantage it offers--its user friendly for beginners.

Gallery
    View images
    You mean in SAI? You can hide the advance settings and hit Tab to hide it all, it's not as confusing as is Painter. In my point of view the simplicity is what's killing ArtRage for me, I need more options, to some this is an advantage to others is a disadvantage, it's up to the developers to keep us all happy

A modular interface could be the solution, you would just pick the modules that you wanted and ArtRage would always start with that interface/tools, in a way it's like Flash, you pick a layout that's most suited for your needs.

Gallery
    View images
    I have to absolutely pitch my tent with Null and furio!
    The ctrl + alt+ click drag is an absolutely amazing shortcut to resize.
    I hate lifting my left hand off the keyboard and my pen off the tablet.

I hate the shift+arrowkeys in AR , as I hate the ' [ & ] ' keys in photoshop..
    Left hand people, left hand..
    hehe scott, it's not that we're too busy, it's just that if it's an action you are doing constantly (resizing a brush is for me) then after a while you want a more 'optimal' short cut.

I think in SAI the highlight is there to aid people to remember the shortcuts rather than complicating the interface..
    I have to agree about retaining the simplicity of the interface, but right now it's not necessorily 'optimal'. There are quite a few things that are hidden and not totally apparent. (tho it is infinitely better than let's say Corel Painter..) I'd rather aim for optimal.

anyways I've ranted about the shortcuts (my personal pet peeve) before in wishes for AR3 thread here:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378&page=7

somewhat halfway down the page..
    (and do I apologise for the loooong rant)

I'd be happy if all I got in AR3 was customisable shortcuts and brilliant blending!
    (and watercolors, but we already know we're getting that, so that don't count!! hehe!!)
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.