ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cursor jitter in Vista 64bit

Cursor jitter in Vista 64bit

Hello, I recently upgraded to a new computer.

Somewhere in the mass of new drivers and software I ran into a problem. Please see attached image: this happens whenever I draw any line. All of these were drawn in single quick stroke, right to left, and the computer decided on recalling the cursor back to where stylus first touched paper for some reason, messing up the curve completely.

The problem happens only in ArtRage, not other software. I'm using newest video drivers and Wacom drivers for my tablet, which is an old Intuos 2 (however I have also tried a Cintiq 12 which I can't seem to get used to, and the problem persists). The OS is Vista 64, I have 8GB RAM and... really can't think of anything else that would be relevant. I did play with sensitivity/threshhold settings in the Wacom options, and with precise cursor options in Art Rage. Nothing seems to clear this up. I'd appreciate any advice on what's happening.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Looks like the configuration of Ink Services ( Microsoft's tablet input system ) is likely to be related to this, possibly you have pen flicks enabled by default. You can prevent ArtRage from using Ink Services for tablet input in the following manner.

Create a file called no_ink.inf or download one from:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/no_ink.inf

Place the file in ArtRage's resources subfolder

e.g. c:\program files(x86)\ambient design\artrage 2\resources\ <-- file goes here

Then start up ArtRage. ArtRage will no longer be using Ink Services. Does that improve the situation?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    AHA!!
    so is this also why the pencil lines in AR would be jaggedy when drawn real fast..?
    I always had that problem.. and I followed the above instructions and Viola the jaggedyness is gone!! Vanished!
    & now the pencil has become like extra smooth butter and lovely.
    And now I know why some people were so in love with the AR pencil.
    maybe I will too!

Thanks DaveRage.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    erm..this is a little embarrassing..
    first of all I missed the whole vista bit..I'm on XP so I don't even know if that inf thing worked..
    second..the there's nothing written in the inf except "Simple text file to disable ink services in ArtRage." i don't know if that's all that is supposed to be there.inf
    and third..there's still a little jaggedyness..
    funny thing is there's a distinct three polygonal segments right at the beginning of the stroke after which it becomes really smooth.

i dunno.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    erm..this is a little embarrassing..
    first of all I missed the whole vista bit..I'm on XP so I don't even know if that inf thing worked..
    second..the there's nothing written in the inf except "Simple text file to disable ink services in ArtRage." i don't know if that's all that is supposed to be there.inf
    and third..there's still a little jaggedyness..
    funny thing is there's a distinct three polygonal segments right at the beginning of the stroke after which it becomes really smooth.

i dunno.
    1. - I'm not totally sure, but I think it's a Vista thing.

2. - Yes, that's all that's supposed to be in there. Actually... It doesn't even need that to be in there. All that's required for that trick is to have a file (of any type, IE: folder, text document, etc) in the resources folder named "no_ink.inf". ArtRage would then see a file of that name and know it has to do whatever it needs to fix the issue it handles.

3. - It sounds more like you're having an issue that can be fixed using the Precise Tablet Mode option. Go to "Edit > Preferences" and check mark the option labeled "Precise Tablet Mode" (see the images below).

Name:  preciseTablet.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  preciseTablet2.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  54.7 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Conflict with Windows' own pen services... why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks DaveRage, that fixed it. I'm getting perfectly smooth lines now. At least as smooth as I can manage myself.

Flyashy - that file's apparently all that's needed for my setup... but what is yours? If you have Ink Services then it should also apply but I thought it was a Vista feature.

Gallery
    View images
    I'm on Xp, everytime it updates office it updates the annoying ink services (though i'm not even supposed to have them)
    Heres a link to the fix
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260

Gallery
    View images
    Ooo Thanks Someonesane,
    Yup 'twas the precise tablet mode..
    I remember turning it off day before while fooling around with the cursor modes..and yes that does seem to give smoother lines..

Thanks Juz for the link I too have XP, with sp2 but I recently formatted my computer and don't seem to have the wisptis as of now (did a reg search), probably because i turned off the auto updates.. and I remember having the 'turn on the tablet services' option in my tablet dialogue box which is greyed out at the moment, so, yey!

and 11thhandsmk, thanks for bringing this up, even tho I don't have vista, my issue got solved as the by product.