ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital art

Exclamation Digital art

the other day i was talking to a friend and i told him about AR and how i started drawing on the computer. The question he asked was, "what is it like just using a bunch of stencils and clip art" He thought it was done with no skill like the computer drew it for me. to quote HANS " the art button" on the keyboard did it. Ive also talked to other people in the past before i started digital art and they seem to think its something less then traditional art. Plus there are tons of post on the net saying the same thing. i was wondering why you guys think people look down on digital artist or if there looked at differently at all?
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

It depends on what the artist uses, that includes the program[s].

It isn't proper drawing/art if they don't actually draw it. Those who use a tablet are doing things closer to real art than those who use a mouse. If you possess a tablet, and you can do amazing art on the computer, then it's not just about how good you are at moving a mouse, it's about their talent of drawing.

Digital artists should NOT be looked down on, as they are artists too, just as much as the ones who do it all on paper. If you have a program like ArtRage, or any program that trys to make it all realistic, then all the better, but I don't think anybody should be looked down upon.

Just like this saying:

"You should never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up."

Digital artists are just as important to the art-world as normal artists, and considering the way us humans are devouring wood and not recycling, in the end, there may be no paper left to draw on at all, and the digital artists will come out best, even though they cannot print anything out, they can continue to draw normally.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

Quote Originally Posted by chambersecrets View Post
    The question he asked was, "what is it like just using a bunch of stencils and clip art" He thought it was done with no skill like the computer drew it for me. to quote HANS " the art button" on the keyboard did it.
    I think a popular misconception is that computers make everything easy. Many people simply have no idea how these programs work. They see something on a store shelf like the "Marvel Heros Comic Book Creator" and think that it's how every computer program must work. They don't understand, that for many images, it takes just as much effort and skill to complete as it would with a traditional method.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

another question- if your selling art why is that digital art is less costly? i mean if we printed out on canvas shouldnt it sell at the same price? especially if that was the only canvas of the painting like traditional work?
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

Well, that's due to it not being *the original*

Emotional value. Yes, you could print it on canvas, but unless you promised to never print it and sell it again...
    For tradtional, there is one original and copies, for digital, they are all copies - so easier to sell more, and to use online, but they lose the 'rarity' value.

Digital paintings

Art is art. It is all created by an artist using many types of methods. Some of which are traditional and now many digital. The end result is up to the artist. If you do digital art for example, 3d animation movies would be hard to do in the old ways but the selling of your talents to create this is very rewarding. A single digital image/ painting (however done) printed on canvas is indeed an original artwork and demands the same fees or even more. Many artists do not know how to price their work or market it thus the low sale prices. Quality is a key to sales also. If your art is great, you should get a great sales price. In the professional world of publishing ( magazines, books, etc.) there is a basic standard of payment and prices according to useage. That is up to the artist to accept or not. Contracts with publishers are agreements between the two. An unknown artist may get lucky unlike a well known artist. I hope this helps you.

ART is in the Eyes of the Beholder

Hey CS,
    the print on canvas simply won't last as long.. the dyes will die long before oils or acrylics or other physical medium. One of the resons would be that.
    Also computers DO make things a bit easier..let's say how many times do we get the option of Undo in real life..? or the other work like using filters, adjusting the contrast brightness.. tranformations etc..which in real medium are just too tedious or virtually impossible to do. I remember an age where we didn't have computers at all, or even electronic typewriters were hard to come by. Graphic reproduction of any nature was a gargantuan task. Carbon-papers and Stencils and Letraset ruled the day. Drawing were done on tracing papers and blue prints were taken for mass production. Hell I remember the first ever Photocopy machine, a gigantic metal monstrosity that had to have some 5000w arc lamps (or something that felt like that) and actual leather bellows for lens adjustment with a chamber for carbon powder and metal plates..

The home computer has made life life so easy and yet complicated...

There is some truth in some things becoming easier with the computer but then other things have become more difficult..so essentially it's only a paradigm shift. Scales have changed and values and focii are different now..

I don't blame laypersons for considering Digitl art as lower than 'Real' art, because they equate it with the amout of work that is required to produce it..
    but I blame Artists who believe the same... anyway I think the days of 'real' art are numbered...
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

The notion that digital art is easier is a complete fallacy.

To anyone who does not believe this, I challange you to recreate your best painting in a 3d package such as 3dmax, Alias or Maya. I promise you that you'll endure much more hardship, frustration and tears before bedtime than you ever did learning to paint (even with an Undo at your disposal)

Too much work, not convinced? Then ask yourself how hard it was to learn colour theory for paint v's digital.... or canvas stretching and types v's resolution and printed output.

I would personally look to the background of the person espousing the 'digital is easier' line to see if there was indeed any experience in digital there.

This is supposed to be a true story, but I wasn't there :-)

It does help me understand tools a bit, though.

A famous writer saw a famous photographer at a party, and wanting to express his admiration, came over and said, "You're that famous photographer! I really admire your work! You must have an INCREDIBLE camera setup!" The photographer took this in stride, and being polite, decided to return the complement: "You're that famous writer! I really like your stuff! You must have an INCREDIBLE typewriter!"
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

LOL Yachris, love it... gonna copy and paste that little story, thanks for sharing