ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help with Oil Paints!

Help with Oil Paints!

I don't know if this is the right part of the forum, but anyway...

I'm not that good with oil paints. And I want ideas and help. My mum says that if I paint something good enough, she'll print it out and get it framed. I want to draw a landscape. I'm okay with sketches, if I need it, but when I see pictures that people have drawn, well, they're amazing. The attention to detail and whatnot.

Should I do a really small brush to do the colouring or should I make it large?
    How do I plan out shading/lighting well?
    Are there any ideas of what to draw?

But most importantly...

Are there any good palettes I could possibly use to help me paint a really good landscape?

P.S. I use a Bamboo Fun tablet, I'm not sure what size, but when I bought it, it said 'Medium'.

Thank you very much.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.

Doesn't matter what tablet you have - it's how good you are with it (It does take a bit of practice to get used to drawing easily with it, of course).
    And the Bamboo Fun's one a lot of people here have. I think mine is, actually.

I would say start smallish, at a size you feel comfortable with - if you want to print it, *and your computer can handle it* (my last one couldn't really) set the canvas to 1000 or 2000 pixels (square or long or tall is up to you!)

And change the DPI setting to 300 - tells the printer how much detail to print

Make your first one, or three for fun and practice. If one starts becoming amazing, then keep going with it (I tend to start about five paintings and finish one!)
    For drawing... well, ArtRage does sunsets very well - throw some red and yellow and pink on and mix it up!
    DON'T be afraid to draw a bit - then change the whole shape or picture.

For planning lighting - reference pictures are good, browse around online and pick one or two that show you something helpful.

Sketch it out - however vaguely (circle line dash, or intricate sketch, you'll have to learn what you're good at.)
    Block sections out in chunks of colour - light bit, dark bit etc

Draw lines of light, so you know where a hill would block it

For palettes.... eh, I can't stick to preset plans and limits so I don't use palettes. So I can't recommend anything. Sure someone else can, though ^_^

Look around for ideas. Here are some ArtRage ones ^_^

(EDIT: pulled these off the various http://www.squidoo.com/artrageondeviantart pages for anyone wanting to hunt down a particular artist)
    Last edited by Flynn_the_Cat; 06-30-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Hi Weeun. Some additional thoughts to add to Flynn's:

1. Browse this "Tips and Tricks" forum section. There are dozens of wonderful tutorials that are helpful. Take advantage of them.

2. If you can, take a drawing or painting class (or classes). They can help a lot to get your oriented and on a good track.

3. For getting around in ArtRage, read the PDF User's Manual (you can find it in the "Help" menu). Take the time to read it from end to end, and practice some of the things you learn as you read along. 90% (or more) of people's questions about ArtRAge can be answered by taking the time to read the very useful and easy-to-follow manual.

4. Something you will hear over and over from artists of all ages: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Just get in there with the program and go wild. Experiment. Have fun. There is no better way to learn to draw and paint than to just get in there and do it, and then do it some more, and then some more after that. Don't be concerned about making mistakes. We learn from our mistakes, and with ArtRage, the undo button seems near infinite. Practice, practice, practice.

Hope this helps a least a little.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Hi Weeun. Some additional thoughts to add to Flynn's:

1. Browse this "Tips and Tricks" forum section. There are dozens of wonderful tutorials that are helpful. Take advantage of them.

2. If you can, take a drawing or painting class (or classes). They can help a lot to get your oriented and on a good track.

3. For getting around in ArtRage, read the PDF User's Manual (you can find it in the "Help" menu). Take the time to read it from end to end, and practice some of the things you learn as you read along. 90% (or more) of people's questions about ArtRAge can be answered by taking the time to read the very useful and easy-to-follow manual.

4. Something you will hear over and over from artists of all ages: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Just get in there with the program and go wild. Experiment. Have fun. There is no better way to learn to draw and paint than to just get in there and do it, and then do it some more, and then some more after that. Don't be concerned about making mistakes. We learn from our mistakes, and with ArtRage, the undo button seems near infinite. Practice, practice, practice.

Hope this helps a least a little.
    It helped a LOT actually. As did Flynn's post.

I've been doodling recently, and practising my blending skills, and I'm getting used to all the tools now.

I just need to practice some more, I suppose.
    The story of us
    looks a lot like a
    TRADGEDY
    now.